Qualcomm just announced Snapdragon 778G 5G Mobile Platform, the company’s new mid-range 5G SoC at the Qualcomm Snapdragon Tech Summit 2021. It is based on 6nm process technology, has Qualcomm Kryo 670 CPU with new architecture delivers up to 40% performance uplift and the Adreno 642L GPU is designed to deliver up to 40% faster graphics rendering compared to the previous generation, said the company. It has Qualcomm Spectra 570L triple ISP and 6th generation Qualcomm AI Engine with the Qualcomm Hexagon 770 processor delivering up to 12 TOPs AI performance, which is a 2x improvement compared to its predecessor.
It brings Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite Gaming features, including Variable Rate Shading (VRS) and Qualcomm Game Quick Touch, has integrated Snapdragon X53 5G Modem-RF System to help deliver mmWave and sub-6 5G capabilities with peak download speeds of 3.7 Gbps on sub-6 GHz frequencies, Qualcomm FastConnect 6700 Connectivity System brings Wi-Fi 6 (up to 2.9 Gbps), Wi-Fi 6E support, has Bluetooth 5.2, dual antennas and Qualcomm Snapdragon Sound Technology.
Highlights of Qualcomm Snapdragon 778G
- 4 x Kryo 670 Performance CPUs (A78-based) at up to 2.4GHz, 4x Kryo 670 Efficiency CPUs (A55-based) at up to 1.8GHz
- TSMC 6nm process Process Technology
- Built-in Qualcomm Snapdragon X53 5G modem-RF system
- 5G speeds of up to 3.7Gpbs down, Sub-6 GHz: 100 MHz bandwidth,
- Qualcomm Adreno 642L GPU, OpenCL 2.0 FP, OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.1
- H.265 (HEVC), HDR10+, HLG, HDR10, H.264 (AVC), VP8, VP9
- :Qualcomm Aqstic smart speaker amplifier up to Qualcomm WSA8835, Qualcomm Hexagon Voice Assistant Accelerator, Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec up to Qualcomm WCD9385, Qualcomm Aqstic audio technology
- Up to 22MP triple camera, Up to 36MP + 22MP dual camera, Up to 64 MP single camera with ZSL, Up to 192MP single camera, Qualcomm Spectra 570L Image Sensor Processor (14-bit triple-ISP), 10-bit HDR HEIF photo capture, Multi-frame Noise Reduction (MFNR), 4K HDR Video Capture with Portrait Mode (Bokeh), 4K Video Capture, 720p Slow-mo video capture at 240 FPS, HEVC Video Capture, HDR10+, HDR10, HLG support
- On-Device Display Support: FHD+ at 144 Hz, Maximum External Display Support: up to 4K @ 60 Hz, 10-bit color depth, Rec. 2020 color gamut, HDR10 and HDR10+
- Fused AI Accelerator architecture, Qualcomm Hexagon Tensor Accelerator, Qualcomm Hexagon Voice Assistant, 6th generation Qualcomm AI Engine with Hexagon 770 Processor, 12TOPS AI performance
- LPDDR5 3200 memory, up to 16 GB
- Wi-Fi 6E, 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) Multi-gigabit, Integrated 802.11ac 2×2 (2-stream) MU-MIMO, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6 GHz, Bluetooth 5.2, Dual Bluetooth antennas, LE Audio Features (one-to-many broadcast), Qualcomm aptX suite, NFC
- GPS, Glonass, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS, NavIC capable
- USB 3.1, USB-C
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology
Commercial devices based on Snapdragon 778G are expected to be available in the second quarter of 2021.
realme has confirmed that its upcoming smartphone code named “Quicksilver” will be powered by Snapdragon 778G 5G, making it one of the first manufacturers to use the SoC.
Commenting on the announcement, Madhav Sheth, VP-realme and CEO – realme India and Europe said:
This is a milestone both for realme and our users. realme is working towards being a democratizer of next-gen 5G technology unlocking the potential of 5G to deliver exciting new experiences for consumers globally. realme has worked closely with Qualcomm on a variety of successful products, earlier this year, realme GT was one of the first devices equipped with SDM888 and we are again proud to be among the first brands to bring smartphones equipped with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 778 5G chipset. The chipset will improve the performance of smartphones and will provide advanced gaming capabilities.
HUAWEI’s HONOR brand also announced that it will use Snapdragon 778G in its upcoming HONOR 50 series that will be introduced soon. Last year’s HONOR 30 series were powered by Kirin 985 and 990 SoCs.
iQOO, Motorola, OPPO, and Xiaomi have also confirmed that they will use Snapdragon 778G 5G Mobile Platform in their phones in the future.