Microsoft announced the next Window 10 feature update called version 21H1 back in February. Today it has started rolling it out as May 2021 update for the users that brings with it security, remote access and quality improvements, along with updates to a few core user experiences.
New features in Windows 10 May 2021 update
- Use an external camera as the default for Windows Hello – For those using a Windows-Hello-compatible external camera with a PC that already has a built-in camera, Windows automatically uses that external camera as the default for Windows Hello.
- Open documents faster yet securely – Improvements to Windows Defender Application Guard lets you open your documents open faster, while still checking for possible security concerns. Windows Defender Application Guard helps prevent untrusted Word, PowerPoint, and Excel files from accessing your company’s trusted resources.
- Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Group Policy Service (GPSVC) updating performance improvement to support remote work scenarios.
The May 2021 Update is available initially to select devices running Windows 10, version 2004 or later who are interested in experiencing the latest feature updates and are ready to install this release on their device.
How to get the Windows 10 May 2021 update?
- In the Search tab, type “Windows Update” and open your Windows Update settings (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update) and select Check for updates.
- If the update appears as Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H1, you can simply select Download and install to get started.
- Once the download is complete and the update is ready to install, it will notify you so that you can pick the right time to finish the installation and reboot your device, ensuring that the update does not disrupt your activities.
If you haven’t received the OTA update yet, you can download it from Microsoft Update Assistant. Microsoft said that devices running either Windows 10, version 2004 or version 20H2 will have a fast overall update experience because the update will install like a monthly update.