At its Spring Reloaded event Apple has introduced new iPad Pro 11-inch and 12.9-inch models powered by the M1 chip for a massive 50% leap in CPU performance and 40% fast GPU performance compared to A12X Bionic in the predecessor. The 11-inch model has a LED-backlit Liquid Retina display and the 12.9-inch is the first model to feature a mini-LED Liquid Retina XDR display.
The new cutting-edge mini-LED uses over 10,000 LEDs across the entire back of the display. It features up to 1000 nits of full-screen brightness, 1600 nits of peak brightness, and 1 million-to-1 contrast ratio. Both the models feature ProMotion, True Tone, and P3 wide color support, delivering an unmatched mobile cinematic viewing experience for HDR and Dolby Vision content.
These are also the first iPad models to support 5G via eSIM, and feature support for Thunderbolt and USB 4 via USB-C port offering 4x more bandwidth for wired connections than the previous iPad Pro — up to 40Gbps. Thunderbolt supports 10Gbps Ethernet, external displays, including the Pro Display XDR at full 6K resolution, all connected using high-performance cables and docks.
The new iPad Pro models have a new 12MP Ultra Wide TrueDepth front camera enabling Center Stage, a new experience for video calls with a much larger field of view and uses machine learning capabilities of M1 to recognize and keep users centered in the frame. As users move around, Center Stage automatically pans to keep them in the shot. When others join in, the camera detects them too, and smoothly zooms out to fit everyone into the view and make sure they are part of the conversation.
The ISP and Neural Engine in M1 unlock even more capability from the pro camera system, bringing support for Smart HDR 3 for the first time to iPad Pro. And in low-light conditions, the ISP and LiDAR Scanner quickly and accurately focus images and videos to capture incredible details from almost no light at all.
Apple iPad 11-inch / 12.9-inch (2021) specifications
- 11-inch (2388 x 1668 pixels) Liquid Retina LED-backlit display with P3 Color Gamut, 600 nits brightness, 264 PPI
- 12.9-inch (2732 x 2048pixels) Liquid Retina XDR mini-LED backlit display with P3 Color Gamut, 600 nits brightness, 1000 nits max full-screen brightness; 1600 nits peak brightness (HDR), 264 PPI
- Apple M1 chip 8-core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores
8-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
- 8GB RAM with 128GB, 256GB or 512GB storage / 16GB RAM with 1TB or 2TB storage
- iOS 14.5
- 12MP wide camera with f/1.8 aperture, 10MP ultra-wide camera with f/2.4 aperture, 5P lens, Sapphire crystal lens cover, Autofocus with Focus Pixels (Wide), Brighter True Tone flash
- 12MP Ultra Wide TrueDepth front camera with 122° field of view, Portrait mode with advanced bokeh and Depth Control, Portrait Lighting, Retina Flash
- Five microphones for calls, video recording, and audio recording, Four speaker audio
- Sensors: Face ID, LiDAR Scanner, Three-axis gyro, Accelerometer, Barometer, Ambient light sensor
- 5G (optional), Wi‑Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz)Wi-Fi 6; simultaneous dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz); HT80 with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, Built‑in GPS/GNSS, Thunderbolt 3 / USB 4 (up to 40 Gbps) / USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
- Dimensions (11-inch): 247.6x 178.5x 5.9mm; Weight: 466/468g
- Dimensions (12.9-inch): 280.6x 214.9 x 5.9mm; Weight: 682/684g
- 11-inch – 28.65-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery with Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
- 12.9-inch – 40.88-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery with Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
Pricing and availability
- iPad Pro 11″ 128GB WiFi – Rs. 71,900
- iPad Pro 11″ 256GB WiFi – Rs. 80,900
- iPad Pro 11″ 512GB WiFi – Rs. 98,900
- iPad Pro 11″ 1TB WiFi – Rs. 1,34,900
- iPad Pro 11″ 2TB WiFi – Rs. 1,70,900
- iPad Pro 11″ 128GB WiFi + Cellular – Rs. 85,900
- iPad Pro 11″ 256GB WiFi + Cellular – Rs. 94,900
- iPad Pro 11″ 512GB WiFi + Cellular – Rs. 1,12,900
- iPad Pro 11″ 1TB WiFi + Cellular – Rs. 1,48,900
- iPad Pro 11″ 2TB WiFi + Cellular – Rs. 1,84,900
- iPad Pro 12.9″ 128GB WiFi – Rs. 99,900
- iPad Pro 12.9″ 256GB WiFi – Rs. 1,08,900
- iPad Pro 12.9″ 512GB WiFi – Rs. 1,26,900
- iPad Pro 12.9″ 1TB WiFi – Rs. 1,62,900
- iPad Pro 12.9″ 2TB WiFi – Rs. 1,98,900
- iPad Pro 12.9″ 128GB WiFi + Cellular – Rs. 1,13,900
- iPad Pro 12.9″ 256GB WiFi + Cellular – Rs. 1,22,900
- iPad Pro 12.9″ 512GB WiFi + Cellular – Rs. 1,40,900
- iPad Pro 12.9″ 1TB WiFi + Cellular – Rs. 1,76,900
- iPad Pro 12.9″ 2TB WiFi + Cellular – Rs. 2,12,900
- Magic Keyboard – Rs. 27900 (for 11″ iPad Pro) / Rs. 31900 (for 12.9″ iPad Pro)
- Smart Keyboard Folio – Rs. 15,900 (for 11″ iPad Pro) / Rs. 17,900 (for 12.9″ iPad Pro)
The new iPad Pro models come in Space Gray and Silver colours, will be available to order beginning Friday, April 30, on apple.com and authorized resellers in India and will be available in the second half of May.
Education pricing is available to current and newly accepted college students and their parents, as well as faculty, staff, and homeschool teachers of all grade levels. The new 11-inch iPad Pro starts at Rs. 68305, and the 12.9-inch iPad Pro starts at Rs. 94905 for them.