At its special event Apple announced the iPhone 12, the company’s latest iPhone, and the successor of iPhone 11 and a smaller iPhone 12 mini, both with support for 5G. The iPhone 12 mini and the 12 come with 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch OLED Super Retina XDR displays, respectively and have support for HDR and Dolby Vision. These come with new Ceramic Shield protection with 4x better drop performance, thanks to a new high temperature crystallisation step that grows nano-ceramic crystals within the glass matrix. The phones are powered by A14 Bionic 5nm Chip with 11.8 billion transistors and a 6-core design and feature IP68 water resistance (6 meters for up to 30 minutes).
These feature 12MP main camera that promises 27% improvement in low-light performance compared to last year’s iPhone along with a 12MP ultra-wide secondary camera. There is a 12MP camera on the front with support for Face ID. All the cameras now have night mode and there is a new night mode time-lapse feature. These come with a Glass back and aluminium design.
Apple has introduced new MagSafe wireless charging featuring an array of magnets around the wireless charging coil, optimized for alignment and efficiency, that perfectly lets iPhone chargers snap right into place. It provides up to 15W of power, while still accommodating existing Qi-enabled devices. As rumoured earlier, the phones don’t have charger in the box. You can get 20W charger separately that can charge the phone up to 50% in 30 minutes.
Apple iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 specifications
- iPhone 12 mini -5.4-inch (2340×1080 pixels) OLED 476ppi Super Retina XDR display, up to 1200 nits brightness, Ceramic Shield protection
- iPhone 12 – 6.1-inch (2532×1170 pixels) OLED 460ppi Super Retina XDR display, up to 1200 nits brightness, HDR, Dolby Vision, Ceramic Shield protection
- Six-Core A14 Bionic 5nm chip with 64-bit architecture, quad-core graphics
- 64GB, 128GB,256GB storage options
- iOS 14
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.6) camera, 7P lens, optical image stabilization, True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240fps, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide (f/2.4) secondary camera, 5P lens
- 12MP TrueDepth front camera with f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 120fps
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition, Stereo speakers
- iPhone 12 mini dimensions: 131.5×64.2×7.4mm; Weight: 133grams
- iPhone 12 dimensions: 146.7×71.5×7.4mm; Weight: 162grams
- 5G (sub‑6 GHz), Gigabit-class LTE, 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with MagSafe wireless charging, fast charging, up to 15 hours (iPhone 12 mini) / 17 hours (iPhone 12) of video playback
The Apple iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 come in Black, Blue, (PRODUCT) Red, Grey and White colours.
Pricing and availability
- iPhone 12 mini 64GB – Rs. 69,900
- iPhone 12 mini 128GB – Rs. 74,900
- iPhone 12 mini 256GB – Rs. 84,900
- iPhone 12 64GB – Rs. 79,900
- iPhone 12 128GB – Rs. 84,900
- iPhone 12 256GB – Rs. 94,900
The iPhone 12 will be available through Apple Authorized Resellers in India starting from October 30th and the iPhone 12 mini will be available from November 13th.