Vodafone Idea has announced that they will be supporting eSIM capabilities for Vodafone postpaid customers on devices such as iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE, iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max and iPhone Xr, with support for Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and Galaxy Fold coming soon. The service will first be available in Mumbai, Delhi and Gujarat.
Existing customers can avail eSIM services by doing the following:
- Send an SMS to 199 by typing “eSIM <space> email id” (If no email id is registered with your mobile number, send SMS “email <space>email id” to 199. Post registration you can reinitiate the eSIM process).
- If your email is valid, you will receive SMS from 199. You need to reply back with ESIMY to confirm eSIM request.
- Post your confirmation SMS, you will receive another SMS from 199 asking you to provide a consent over a call
- After providing your consent on the call, an email with a QR code will be sent to the registered email id.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings->Mobile Data->Add Data Plan
- Scan the QR code that was sent received via mail and follow the prompt on the phone.
New customers on Vodafone will be required to visit the nearest Vodafone store with proof of identity and photograph to get new Vodafone eSIM connection.
In related news, in June, Vodafone also activated support for the Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular) in select circles across India.
Commenting on the availability of eSIM, Avneesh Khosla, Director — Marketing, Vodafone Idea, said:
Vodafone Idea is excited to introduce eSIM technology for our postpaid customers which enables them to enjoy the benefits of convenience and flexibility of having more than one sim even on single sim device. We therefore believe that eSIM will provide enhanced experience to our customers as it will enable them to do a lot more with their device.