Apple has released tvOS 14, the next major tvOS update at the WWDC 2020. This brings multi-user support in games and offer gamers a wider range of controllers and input device options. New SwiftUI APIs allow developers to enhance search features and show video from HomeKit cameras in apps. There is also Picture-in-Picture and system-provided controls.
- Multiuser Support for Games: With multi-user support for gaming, your game can switch dynamically between users and use both Game Center and iCloud to keep track of multiple players’ individual game levels, leaderboards, and invitations.
- New Controller Support: Let users play your game using more of their favorite PlayStation and Xbox controllers, including Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 and the Xbox Adaptive Controller.
- Picture-in-Picture: tvOS now supports Picture-in-Picture that lets you watch a movie while you keep an eye on the game, or check the weather while you binge a TV series — all at the same time.
- Advanced Search Features: New UIKit APIs are available for providing search suggestions and updating search results.
- HomeKit Cameras: Get a live view of your front door and keep an eye on all your HomeKit camera feeds — right from your Apple TV. Just ask Siri to view any camera at any time or see them all from the Home view in Control Center.
- Home app: Now supports smart lights with different color temperature options, option to adjust them to match the ambient light during the day over time.
- Photos app with AirPlay in 4K: With AirPlay, you can share your 4K videos from the Photos app on your iPhone or iPad to your Apple TV 4K in their full resolution.
- Audio Sharing: When it’s quiet time, Audio Sharing lets you connect two sets of AirPods to your Apple TV and still enjoy movies and shows with a friend.
tvOS 14 Availability
tvOS 14 will be available this fall, which is around September for Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD users and developer preview is available for Apple Developer Program members at developer.apple.com starting today, and a public beta program will be available to tvOS users next month.