Samsung just announced ISOCELL GN1, the company’s first 1.2-micrometer (μm) pixel 50-megapixel (Mp) sensor. The ISOCELL GN1 is also Samsung’s first image sensor to offer both Dual Pixel and Tetracell technologies. This promises superior low-light photos and DSLR-level auto-focus speeds, optimized for more dynamic picture-taking experiences.
Highlights of 50MP ISOCELL GN1 sensor
- Best-in-class auto-focusing with 100 million phase detection auto-focus (PDAF) agents.
- Dual Pixel technology places two photodiodes side-by-side within a single pixel that can receive light from different angles for phase detection. Can detect and focus onto a desired still or moving object from every corner in an instant, even in low-light conditions. When capturing images, a single pixel output is created by merging the outputs from the two photodiodes within the pixel.
- Additionally, software algorithm takes light information from each photodiode to produce image resolutions comparable to 100Mp.
- In Tetracell technology, a pixel-merging technique that improves the pixels’ capacity to capture and process more light. By binning four pixel signals into one, Tetracell doubles the image sensor’s pixel size to 2.4μm and quadruples the light sensitivity to take brighter 12.5Mp photographs.
- With improved light sensitivity combined with a powerful auto-focusing solution, the GN1 is able to focus on an object quickly even in extreme low-light environment to deliver both brighter and sharper results.
- Smart-ISO intelligently selects the optimal ISO, real-time HDR that captures the scene in multiple exposures simultaneously, and gyro-based electronic image stabilization (EIS) that takes sharp images and video even when in motion.
- Supports video recording at up to 8K resolution at 30 frames-per-second (fps).
Samsung said has already started mass production of ISOCELL GN1 this month, so we can expect it in smartphones soon.
Commenting on the new sensor, Yongin Park, executive vice president of sensor business at Samsung Electronics, said:
With innovative pixel technologies, Samsung has been at the forefront of offering high-performance image sensors that closely cater to increasingly diversifying market needs. The ISOCELL GN1 is part of that commitment to deliver stunning images to consumers in any environment. We will continue to introduce image sensor solutions at the cutting-edge that will lead the next trends in mobile photography.