In addition to Mi 9 Pro 5G, Xiaomi also introduced the Mi MIX Alpha concept smartphone with an innovative Surround Screen with a screen-to-body ratio of more than 180.6%. It is also the world’s first smartphone to sport a 108MP camera. It uses durable protective layer which optimizes the screen stack structure. The phone has minimal bezels on the top and bottom, and ditches the physical side buttons, instead it relies on display acoustic technology replacing the traditional earpiece receiver and proximity sensor while the device’s sides are pressure-sensitive and leverage a linear motor to simulate the touch of real buttons. It has anti-false-touch technology that deactivates the non-active area, allowing dynamic allocation of touch commands.
The phone has a main 108MP 1/1.33-inch Samsung ISOCELL Bright HMX image sensor that uses Tetracell technology allowing the sensor to imitate big-pixel sensors, producing brighter 27MP images and supports four-in-one Super Pixel to produce large 1.6μm pixels under low-light conditions. The camera also supports new technologies such as ISOCELL Plus and smart ISO, and is equipped with four-axis optical image stabilization (OIS) to ensure stable videos. There is also a 20MP ultra wide-angle camera which supports 1.5 cm super macro and a 12MP telephoto camera that supports 2x optical zoom and Dual PD focus.
The Mi MIX Alpha’s top and bottom parts of the frame are built with aerospace-grade titanium alloy. On its back, the entire protective cover for the camera area uses a single piece of sapphire glass, which is embedded in ceramic. It is powered by Snapdragon 855 Plus with Qualcomm X50 modem for 5G, packs 12GB LPDDR4x RAM, 512GB UFS3.0 storage and packs a 4050mAh battery with 40W wired fast charging.
Xiaomi Mi MIX Alpha specifications
- 7.92-inch (2088 x 2250 pixels) Flexible OLED display
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 855 Plus 7nm Mobile Platform (1 x 2.96GHz Kryo 485 + 3 x 2.42GHz Kryo 485 + 4x 1.80GHz Kryo 485) with Adreno 640 GPU
- 12GB LPDDR4x RAM, 512GB storage
- Dual SIM
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- 108MP rear camera with 1/ 1.33″ Samsung HMX sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.69 aperture, LED flash, OIS, Laser Autofocus, PDAF, CAF, 12MP 1/2.55″ Samsung S5K2L7, telephoto lens with f/2.0 aperture, 1.0μm pixel size, 6P lens, 2x lossless zoom, 20MP 1/1.3″ Sony IMX350 117° ultra-wide angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 1.0μm pixel size, 6P lens, 1.5cm macro
- 20MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Dimensions: 154.38×72.3×10.4mm; Weight:241g
- 5G, Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5, Dual-frequency (L1+L5) GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4050mAh(typ)/ 3950mAh (min) battery with 40W fast charging
The Mi MIX Alpha will retail for 19,999 yuan (US$ 2815 / Rs. 1,99,520 approx.) when it goes on sale in limited numbers in China at the end of December.