ASUS has announced the ROG Phone II, successor of last year’s ROG Phone. It has a 6.59-inch Full HD+ AMOLED HDR 120Hz, 1ms response time AMOLED display with DCIP3 gamut, is the first phone to be powered by Snapdragon 855 Plus SoC with up to 12GB of RAM. It has 3D vapor chamber that efficiently transfer heat away from the SoC and into the body while gaming and there are vents on the back. There is an optical under-display fingerprint scanner, compared to rear-mounted fingerprint sensor in the predecessor. It has a 48-megapixel rear camera along with a 13-megapixel 125° ultra-wide camera, and a 24-megapixel camera on the front.
The phone has dedicated ultrasonic AirTriggers with faster haptic response rate, vibration latency of 20ms, reduced by 68% from 63ms, and you no longer have to raise your fingers before tapping. It still has the 3.5mm audio jack and stereo front-facing speakers with DTS: X Ultra surround sound effect, and comes with quad noise-cancelling microphones. There are Dual high-end vibrating motors XYZ axis for surround feel. It has a huge 6,000mAh battery compared to 4,000mAh in the predecessor. The 30W HyperCharge fast charging that can charge up to 4,000mAh in just 58 minutes and two hours to fully charge the phone.
There are several accessories such as AeroActive Cooler II, Aero Case, TwinView Dock II, ROG Kunai Gamepad, Mobile Desktop Dock, Pro Dock, WiGig Display Dock Plus and ROG Lighting Armor Case.
ASUS ROG Phone II specifications
- 6.59-inch (2340 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 120Hz OLED HDR display, 240Hz touch sampling rate, 108% DCI-P3, 10000:1 contrast, dE<1, 10-bit HDR, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 855 Plus (1 x Kryo 485 at 2.96GHz + 3 x Kryo 485 at 2.42GHz + 4 x Kryo 385 at 1.8GHz) 7nm Mobile Platform with 675MHz Adreno 640 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB (UFS 3.0) storage / 12GB LPDDR4x RAM, 128GB / 512GB (UFS 3.0) storage
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with ROG UI
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 48MP rear camera with 1/2″ Sony IMX586 sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.79 aperture, up to 4K 60fps video recording, 13MP 125° ultra-wide camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 24MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Dual front-facing 5-magnet speakers with dual smart amplifier,3.5mm audio jack, Hi-Res audio, DTS Headphone:X 7.1 virtual surround sound for headphone, Quad mics with noise-cancellation
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 170.99×77.6×9.78mm; Weight: 240 g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ) / 802.11ad 60GHz, Bluetooth 5, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, Galileo(E1+E5a), QZSS(L1+L5), USB Type-C, NFC
- 6000mAh (typical) / 5800mAh (minimum) battery with 10V 3A 30W HyperCharge fast charging, supports up to 30W QC4.0 / PD3.0 / Direct Charge adapter
The ASUS ROG Phone II comes in Black color and the price will be revealed tomorrow when it is introduced in China in partnership with Tencent Games. Global roll out is expected sometime in September.
[Update: July 23, 2019 — The ASUS ROG Phone II 8GB RAM + 128GB storage customized Tencent customized Elite version costs 3499 yuan (US$ 508 / Rs. 35,080 approx.) and the 12GB RAM + 512GB storage Classic version costs 5,999 yuan (US$ 872 / Rs. 60,145 approx.). Both these will be available for order from today till July 31. There is an Extreme Edition that will be available in Q4 for 7999 yuan (US$ 1162 / Rs. 80,181 approx.), and the esports Armor version with additional accessories costs 12,999 yuan (US$ 1,889 / Rs. 1,30,300 approx.).]