SHARP has announced AQUOS R2, the company’s latest flagship smartphone and the successor of last year’s AQUOS R smartphone in Japan. It has a 6-inch WQHD+ IGZO LCD display with 19:9 aspect ratio 100 Hz refresh rate and support for Dolby Vision. It is powered by Snapdragon 845 with 4GB RAM and runs Android 8.0 (Oreo). It has a 22.6-megapixel primary camera along with a 16.3-megapixel secondary rear camera with 135-degree ultra wide-angle lens to shoot videos in 4K 2K (3840 × 2,160 pixels) resolution. The AI live shutter support will take pictures automatically during movie shooting.
It addition to Dolby Vision, it also has Dolby Atmos and also supports Dolby AC-4 for an immersive audio experience, making it the world’s first smartphone to support both these Dolby features. It also supports playback of HDR content such as HDR 10 and VP9. It is also water and dust resistant with IPX 5 – IPX8 / IP6X ratings, similar to the predecessor.
SHARP AQUOS R2 specifications
- 6-inch Quad HD+ (3040 × 1440 pixels) 19:9 IGZO LCD 2.5D curved glass display, 100 Hz refresh rate
- 2.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 845 64-bit 10nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 630 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4X RAM, 64GB storage (UFS), expandable memory up to 400GB with microSD
- Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- 22.6MP rear camera with LED Flash, secondary 16.3MP video camera with 135-degree ultra-wide-angle lens
- 16.3MP front-facing camera
- Water and dust resistant (IPX 5 – IPX8 / IP6X)
- Fingerprint sensor
- Dimension: 156 × 74 × 9 mm; Weight: 181g
- 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS with GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 3130 mAh battery with fast charging
The SHARP AQUOS R2 comes in Premium Black, Platinum White, Aquamarine, Coral Pink and Rose Red colors and will be available later this Summer. No word on the pricing yet.