Back in February BlackBerry Athena was first spotted on Geekbench, through configuration files, and in European device registration databases. Earlier this month press renders of the phone surfaced, now the phone has been certified by TENAA in China with the model number BBF100-4 confirming the specifications of the phone, including a 4.5-inch (1620 x 1080 pixels) display with 3:2 aspect ratio and a 4-row QWERTY physical backlit keyboard with keys that should respond to touch gestures, support for flick typing, up to 52 customizable shortcuts and the fingerprint sensor is built into the spacebar, same as last year’s KEYone.
It also confirmed Snapdragon 660 SoC with 6GB RAM, Android 8.1 (Oreo), dual rear cameras and a 3360mAh battery.
BlackBerry Athena (BBF100) rumored specifications
- 4.5-inch (1620 x 1080 pixels) 3:2 display with 433 PPI, scratch-resistant glass protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 660 14nm Mobile Platform (Quad 2.2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPUs) with Adreno 512 GPU
- 6GB RAM, 64GB internal storage, expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- 4-row Physical QWERTY backlit keyboard with capacitive touch
- Android 8.1 (Oreo)
- Hybrid dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with dual-tone LED Flash,secondary rear camrea
- 8MP front-facing camera
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio
- Dimensions: 151.4×71.8×8.5mm; Weight: 168g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4 & 5 GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS / GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 3360mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
The BlackBerry Athena expected to come in Black and Silver colors and should go official sometime in Q2 2018.