Earlier in a post we talked about the different versions of MIUI, and in case you wish to flash MIUI ROM on your Xiaomi device you should read this post. In this post we will be walking you through the steps for flashing a ROM via fastboot flash method.
Fastboot method should be preferred when,
- Switching to MIUI Beta ROM from MIUI Stable ROM or vice versa.
- Downgrading MIUI Beta/Stable ROM
Things to consider before you start flashing,
- Unlocked bootloader is needed for fastboot flash, so in case your device doesn’t have unlocked bootloader visit http://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html and make a request for unlocking bootloader.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 60% charge.
- Take a backup of all important data/app data.
Note that this backup does not include multimedia stored on your phone, only app data is backed up.
Do not forget to copy this backup folder to PC/USB Drive.
- Download latest Mi Flash tool from here, and install it on your PC.
- Download the fastboot ROM for your device from here, and extract it to a folder on your PC.
Now, switch off your phone and then long press Power and Volume down button together until you see the following image on your device.
Open Mi Flash tool on your PC
Connect your phone to the PC via cable and hit ‘refresh’ button in Mi Flash tool to see the device as in the screenshot below.
Click on ‘Select’ and redirect to the folder where you have extracted the ROM.
Click on ‘Clean all’ at bottom and hit ‘flash’ button.
Process will start and it will take around 2-5 minutes to finish the flashing.
After 10-15 minutes device will boot up,