LG has officially announced G5, the company’s latest flagship smartphone in the G series that packs a dual rear cameras and a hardware expansion slot. It has a 5.3-inch (2560 x 1440 pixels) Quad HD Quantum always-on display that lets you can check the time, battery status, and notifications without waking the phone. The display’s backlight only illuminates one small part of the overall display, so only 0.8% of the phone’s battery drains in a hour, according to LG. It is powered by a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor and runs on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) with LG UX.
It has a 16-megapixel rear camera with LED flash, OIS 2.0, Laser auto focus, manual mode and a secondary 8-megapixel rear camera with 135-degree wide angle lens. It has a 8-megapixel front-facing camera. LG has also introduced a hardware expansion modules called CAM Plus and Hi-Fi Plus with B&O Play.
- CAM Plus: Camera that is attached through battery slot for a comfortable grip and convenient control of a DSLR. Offers Auto focus, exposure lock, and provides physical buttons for power, shutter, record, and zoom. Packs additional battery capacity of 1,200mAh.
- Hi-Fi Plus with B&O Play: Portable Hi-Fi audio player developed in collaboration with B&O Play supports 32-bit, 384KHz high-definition audio playback. Can be used with LG G5 or even as a separate Hi-Fi digital audio chip (DAC) that connects to any smartphone or PC.
It also has companion devices called LG Friends that can be transformed into a digital camera, Hi-Fi player and more.
- LG 360 VR: VR goggle that can be connected with the G5 via a dedicated cable and works exclusively with the G5 to simulate a 130-inch TV viewed from two meters away. It has a stylish design that is foldable so that users can easily carry and watch VR content anytime, anywhere.
- LG 360 CAM: Compact 360-degree angle camera equipped with two 13MP 200-degree wide angle cameras, 1,200mAh battery and 4GB internal memory, which can be supplemented by a microSD card. Provides 2K video and 5.1 surround channel recording on three microphones
- LG Rolling Bot: Companion device that rolls like a ball while capturing images and videos with its embedded 8MP camera. Can be used as a monitoring system for the home, pet care companion as well as a remote controller for compatible home appliances.
- H3 by B&O PLAY: Set of high-end earphones that is compatible with the high-quality sound of the LG Hi-Fi Plus with B&O PLAY.
- LG Smart Controller: Allows users to easily control certain drones. Lets you check the video stream from the drone through the LG G5 in real time and control the unmanned aircraft with the LG Smart Controller joystick.
- LG Friends Manager: Only available in the LG G5, it is the hub application that allows the G5 to connect with LG Friends with minimal fuss and effort. It automatically detects nearby LG Friends and connects quickly and easily in three simple steps, eliminating much of the hassle of pairing devices.
LG G5 Specifications
- 5.3-inch (2560×1440 pixels) Quad HD always-on display, 3D Arc Glass
- Quad-Core Snapdragon 820 64-bit processor with Adreno 530 GPU
- 4GB RAM, 32GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
- 16MP rear camera, laser auto focus, dual-tone flash, 4K video recording
- 8MP secondary rear camera with 135-degree wide-angle lens
- 8MP front-facing camera
- Dimensions: 149.4 x 73.9 x 7.7~8.6mm; Weight: 159g
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (dual-band), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, NFC, USB Type-C
- 2800mAh (removable) battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
The LG G5 comes in Silver, Titan, Gold and Pink colors and will be available globally in April along with the Friends companion devices. No word on the pricing yet.