Obi Worldphone, backed by John Scully has launched Obi Worldphone SF1, it’s flagship smartphone in India, as it promised. It was introduced back in August and has a 5-inch 1080p display from JDI, which is slightly raised giving a floating feel, comes with 4G LTE connectivity with support for FDD B3 1800MHz and TDD B40 2300MHz bands for India, is powered by an Octa-Core Snapdragon 615 SoC, has a 13-megapixel rear camera, 5-megapixel front-facing camera and a fiberglass body and metal accents at the top and bottom of the phone. It is designed by San Francisco-based product studio Ammunition.
Obi Worldphone SF1 specifications
- 5-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) JDI In-Cell IPS floating glass display with Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection, oleophobic coating
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 Octa-Core (ARM Cortex A53 – 4×1.5GHz + 4×1.0GHz) processor with Adreno 405 GPU
- 2GB RAM with 16GB internal memory / 3GB RAM with 32GB internal memory, expandable up to 64GB with microSD
- Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop) with Obi Lifespeed UI
- Hybrid Dual (micro + nano / microSD) SIM
- 13MP rear camera with LED flash, Sony IMX214 sensor, f/2.0 aperture
- 5MP front-facing camera with LED flash
- Dimensions: 146x74x8mm; Weight: 147g
- Dolby Audio
- 4G LTE/ 3G HSPA+, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n (Dual-Band), Bluetooth 4.0, GPS / GLONASS
- 3000mAh (built-in) battery
The Obi Worldphone SF1 comes in Black color and is priced at Rs. 11,999 for 2GB RAM with 16GB storage version, and the 3GB RAM with 32GB storage version costs Rs. 13,999. It will be available from December 7th, exclusively on NDTV Gadgets360.
Obi has partnered with the Generali Group, through which Generali expects to leverage the mobile channel in as many as 20 high-growth markets including India by 2017. Generali’s apps will be embedded in Obi’s Worldphones with the aim to reach a prospective customer base of more than 10 million people, said the company.
Commenting on the launch, John Sculley, Obi Worldphone co-founder and former head of Apple Inc. and Pepsi-Cola, said:
Smartphones have emerged as one of the world’s greatest cultural tools for communication, entertainment and connection. Globally, for many people, the smartphone serves as a highly personal device that lifts up their lives. Obi has taken the best of Silicon Valley – creating a new standard for design, craftsmanship and performance, the SF1 seamlessly blends premium materials with the state-of-the-art technology to offer consumers an unmatched mobile experience at attractive prices. Our efficient cost structure and broad distribution combine to present a compelling value proposition that helps our customers achieve their aspirations.
Neeraj Chauhan, Co-founder and CEO of Obi Worldphone, said:
We are launching in India as there is a significant opportunity for Obi – each element of an Obi Worldphone has been designed with intention from the very beginning from the details of the industrial design to the custom UI that highlights the iconic silhouettes of the phone. And they reflect their birthplace: Silicon Valley, which carries a unique mind set and a way of doing things that creates original, no-compromise form and function products to help consumers step ahead. We have defined our offering around what is relevant to our target customers. The attempt is to deliver high quality, iconic designs at attractive prices.