At an event in Beijing, Meizu today announced the launch of a brand new flagship handset. Called the Meizu PRO 5, the phone aims to be the top of the line flagship for the Chinese brand. The phone is powered by a 2.5 GHz Samsung Exynos 7420 processor and comes 3GB or 4GB RAM variants. As stated earlier by Meizu, the phone has restricted itself to a full HD panel despite having upped the screen size to 5.7 inches. With an all metal build, the phone continues the same design language that has become synonymous with Meizu. The phone sports a 21.6MP camera module at the rear with laser auto focus for 0.7 second quick capture that is accompanied by a 5MP camera up front. The Meizu Pro 5 runs Flyme 5 that is based on Android 5.1.
It has mBack touch-sensitive home button that offers different functions based on press, similar to the MX5 and mTouch 2.1 fingerprint recognition technology. It has mCharge 2.0 that charges the 3050mAh battery up to 65% in just 30 minutes. It has ES9018 Audio DAC, Texas Instruments OPA1612 operational amplifier and a passive filter for crystal clear audio. It also has reversible USB Type-C port. It has Cat.6 LTE that offers download speed of up to 300Mbps, VoLTE and support for TD-LTE (band 38/39/40/41) and FDD-LTE (band 1/3/7) .
Meizu PRO 5 specifications
- 5.7-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) Super AMOLED display with 2.5D glass, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 Protection, 88-degree viewing angle, 10000:1 contrast ratio
- Octa-Core ( Quad 2.1GHz + Quad 1.5GHz) Samsung Exynos 7420 processor with Mali T760 GPU
- 3GB LPDDR4 RAM with 32GB storage and 4GB LPDDR4 RAM with 64GB storage, expandable memory with microSD
- Flyme OS 5.0 based on Android 5.1
- Hybrid Dual SIM (SIM 2 slot can also be used as a microSD slot)
- 21.6 MP rear camera with dual tone LED Flash, Laser Auto focus, PDAF, Sony IMX230 Exmor RS BSI sensor, 6P lenses, f/2.2 aperture, 4K video recording
- 5MP front-facing camera with OV5670 sensor, f/2.0 aperture
- Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 156.7 x 78 x 7.5mm; Weight: 166g
- 4G LTE (TD-LTE / LTE-FDD) / 3G HSPA+ , WiFi 802.11 ac/b/g/n (2.4/5 GHz), Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, USB 3.0 Type-C
- 3050mAh battery
The Meizu PRO 5 comes in Gray, Silver, Silver Black and Golden colors, is priced at 2799 Yuan (US$ 440 / Rs. 28,925 approx.) for 3GB RAM with 32GB storage variant and 3099 Yuan ( US$ 485 / Rs. 32,030 approx.) for the 4GB RAM with 64GB storage variant in China. It is available for order in China today and will go on sale on October 12. It is expected to launch in India in October. To get an idea of what we think about Meizu products, go ahead and check out our Meizu MX5 review.
Srivatsan contributed to the report