HTC has announced the Desire 820, the company’s latest phablet and the successor of the Desire 816 in India. It was unveiled at the IFA 2014 earlier this month and packs a 5.5-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) display, powered by a octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 processor ( four Cortex A53 cores clocked at 1.5 GHz per core and four clocked at 1.0 GHz) with Adreno 405 GPU / 1.2 GHz quad-core processor Snapdragon 410 processor and runs on Android 4.4 Kitkat with HTC Sense 6 UI on top, that it upgradable to upcoming release of Android L.
The quad-core variant is called the Desire 820q has 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB RAM compared to the Octa-Core variant. Both have a 13-megapixel rear camera, 8-megapixel front-facing camera, dual-front-facing BoomSound speakers and dual SIM support with 4G on both the SIMs. We went hands on with the Desire 820 at the IFA earlier this month, check out the hands on video below.
At the launch, Faisal Siddiqui, HTC India’s Vice President & Country Head, said,
Our new HTC Desire model gives entertainment lovers exactly what they are looking for; a powerful, fast, stylish smartphone that delivers their favourite content on a big screen at a competitive price. With the HTC Desire 820 and HTC Desire 820q, we’ve combined the most advanced technology with the best possible entertainment experience and bold, distinctive design, to deliver a handset that is both desirable and affordable.
HTC Desire 820 / Desire 820q dual SIM specifications
- 5.5-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) display with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Octa-Core (1.5 GHz & 1.0 GHz) Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 processor with Adreno 405 GPU / 1.2 quad-core Snapdragon 410 processor with Adreno 306 GPU (Desire 820q)
- 1GB (Desire 820q) / 2GB RAM, 16GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Android 4.4 with HTC Sense 6 UI, upgradable to Android L
- Dual SIM
- 13MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/2.2 aperture, BSI sensor, 28mm lens, 1080p video recording
- 8 MP front-facing camera, 1080p video recording
- 3.5 mm headset jack
- 7.74mm thick and weighs 155 grams
- HTC BoomSound, Dual frontal stereo speakers with built-in amplifiers
- 4G LTE / 3G HSPA+, WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n (2.4 & 5 GHz), Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX, GPS
- 2600 mAh battery
The HTC Desire 820 and the Desire 820q come in a range of colors in India and would go on sale early November. Pricing would be revealed closer to the launch.