Xiaomi announced Hongmi, a budget smartphone back in July last year. It was introduced in international markets as Redmi. Due to its aggressive pricing the smartphone was hugely successful in China and other markets where it was introduced. The Redmi packs some solid specifications such as 4.7-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) IPS display at 312 PPI, 1.5 GHz quad-core MediaTek MT6589 Turbo processor and Android 4.2-based MIUI V5 ROM. Check out the unboxing.
The box is made of environment-friendly recycled materials. The box contents include,
- Xiaomi Hongmi / Redmi smartphone in Black
- 2000 mAh removable battery
- 2-pin wall charger
- micro USB cable
- User manual
It doesn’t come with earphones in the box.
Xiaomi Redmi / Hongmi Specifications
- 4.7-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) IPS display at 312 PPI
- 1.5 GHz quad-core MediaTek MT6589 Turbo processor with PowerVR SGX544 GPU
- Android 4.2-based MIUI V5 ROM
- Dual SIM
- 8MP rear back camera, supports 1080p video recording
- 1.3MP front-facing camera, supports 720p video recording
- Dual mic
- 3G HSPA+, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, GPS, OTG
- 1GB RAM, 4GB internal memory, Expandable memory up to 32GB with microSD
- 2000 mAh battery
The capacitive touch buttons glow in red color. It has a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera with 720p HD video recording. It has proximity and ambient light sensor and also has compass.
It has a 8-megapixel rear camera with 28mm wide-angle lens, 1.4 micron sensor, f/2.2 aperture and LED flash. It is capable of recording videos at 1080p full HD resolution. It has dual SIM support and 3G connectivity. It packs 1GB RAM, 4GB of internal storage with expansion slot.
The Xiaomi Redmi (Hongmi) comes in Black, White and Red colors and is priced at NT$ 3999 (Rs. 7900 approx) in Taiwan. Xiaomi entered into Singapore and Malaysia recently and plans to enter Philippines next as it announced earlier this year. It is expected to enter into the Indian market soon.