Amazon unveiled the New Kindle Paperwhite back in September last year, and announced that it would get Goodreads and FreeTime features in a software update. The New Paperwhite got the these features in an update in November, but the company did not announce these features for the first Generation Paperwhite. Amazon has rolled out a new update (version 5.4.4) to the first generation Paperwhite, that brings Goodreads integration, Kindle FreeTime feature and more features, that were available in the New Kindle Paperwhite.
The New Kindle Paperwhite was launched in India last month starting at Rs. 10,999.
New features in Kindle Paperwhite (First gen) software Update v5.4.4
- Kindle FreeTime – FreeTime lets you create personalized profiles for kids, and give them access to titles from your collection of books. Kids can keep track of their personal reading progress and earn achievement badges. To learn more, go to Kindle FreeTime
- Goodreads on Kindle – Connect with the world’s largest community for readers from your Kindle Paperwhite. See what your friends are reading, share notes, and rate the books you read. To learn more, go to Find and Share Books with Goodreads on Kindle.
- Cloud Collections – Use Cloud Collections to organize your content in custom categories. See your collections in a Collections view, and customize where your collections show on your device. To learn more, go to Organize Your Content with Cloud Collections.
- Page Flip – While reading, you can skim the book page-by-page, scan by chapter, or skip to the end for a sneak peek without losing your place. To learn more, go to Go To Other Locations in a Book
- Enhanced Bookmarks, Highlights & Notes – Access and manage all of your bookmarks, highlights, and notes more quickly and easily. To learn more, go to Bookmarks, Highlights & Notes
- Smart Lookup – When you look up a word or character, Smart Lookup provides you with dictionary, X-Ray, and Wikipedia information.To learn more, go to Explore Your Book with X-Ray.
- Vocabulary Builder – Words looked up in the dictionary are automatically added to Vocabulary Builder. View the definition and usage of the words, and quiz yourself with flashcards. To learn more, go to Expand Your Vocabulary.
The Kindle Paperwhite would automatically get updated if you connect it to WiFi. You can also manually update your Kindle by download the file (183 MB) from the Amazon website here.