Intel has introduced its first Android-based Education Tablet reference design aimed at students and schools. The tablet has Education materials for students, and tools for teachers to manage e-learning classrooms. It is a part of Intel Education Solutions which has Intel Education Software that includes tools for 21st century learning, communication, collaboration, problem solving, critical thinking and literary skills. This tablet is rugged, which can withstand 70 cm drop, has IP52 rating for dust and water resistance.
It has also introduced classmate PC running on Windows 8.1 and Intel Celeron processor N2806 at the Bett 2014 in London, which is also aimed at education.
The tablet comes with a range of useful educational accessories including,
- Active stylus
- Snap-on magnification lens
- Plug-in thermal (temperature sensor) probe for experiments that plugs into the tablet’s audio jack
Intel Education Tablet (ECS-TR10CD1) specifications
- 10.1-inch (1280 x 800 pixels) IPS LCD 5-point multi-touch display
- Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)
- 1.2 GHz dual-core Intel Atom Z2520 processor
- 5MP rear camera
- 1.26MP front-facing camera
- 70cm drop-resistance, IPS2 for dust and water-resistance
- 1GB LPDDR2 RAM, 8/16/32GB internal storage, micro SD card slot
- 3G (Optional ), WiFi a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, NFC (Optional), Micro HDMI, GPS (Optional)
- Up to 12 hours of battery life
The HP Classmate Notebook PC, commercial product based on the new classmate PC would roll out globally starting this month. No word on commercial availability of Intel Education Tablet yet.