Sony has just announced SmartBand (SWR10), their first SmartWear that lets you record your activities. It is light and flexible and comes with a removable core unit. It connects to your smartphone over Bluetooth, using the Lifelog application on Android. The SmartBand also lets you track of entertainment and information.
The SmartBand was announced at Sony’s press conference at CES 2014 today, and it certainly looks like all the other fitness bands out there, but it aims to do more, by logging each and every activity of your life, in tandem with the Lifelog app on your Android smartphone. It is made for constant wear, so it is light, comes in fashionable colours and is waterproof so that you don’t have to worry about it getting wet. The functionality is all about having metrics for your life. It will log your work out, your sleep time, will buzz for alerts and even adds bookmarks for special events through the life bookmark button. It basically aims to be on you all the time and log everything you do by collecting appropriate data. It will still collect data even when the phone is out of range or temporarily disconnects with the device, and then sends it in a batch so that nothing is lost.
Here is the complete list of features of the Sony SmartBand –
- Lifelog app can see if you’ve been walking, running, cycling or travelling by train – and how you’ve slept.
- Look ahead in time to see just how much more you need to cycle to achieve your daily activity goal.
- Helps to track weather and alert the user
- Bookmark your special moments by pressing the Life Bookmark key.
- Press the Life Bookmark key on your SmartBand and everything going on at that moment will be caught and remembered forever.
- Removable Core unit and a stylish and comfortable wrist band
- Sony fastening button and LEDs
- Vibrates when a call, message or other notification comes in
- Play, pause and skip tracks using your SmartBand
- Battery performance of up to 5 days.
The Sony SmartBand comes in a range of colours. No word on pricing or availability yet. Sony promises to offer more details about the SmartBand in the coming weeks.