Sony just introduced the Xperia 5 V (Pronounced Mark 5), the company’s latest Xperia smartphone at an online event, as expected. It packs a 6.1-inch 21:9 FHD+ HDR display with 120Hz refresh rate and 240Hz touch scanning rate, same as the predecessor, but this is powered by Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 with 8GB of RAM.
New Exmor T sensor
The Xperia 5 V has the latest 52MP sensor “Exmor T for mobile”, but only has dual rear cameras that let you shoot in three focal lengths of 16mm, 24mm, and 48mm. The 48mm is equivalent to 2x optical focal length, so you can capture the subjects of your images in a larger size without worrying about image quality deterioration, said the company.
It brings S-Cinetone, known by cinematographers, that have been adjusted and installed for mobile. There is a Creative Look, also found in Alpha series cameras, and high-performance real time AF (auto focus).
The phone has Full-Stage stereo speakers, Sony’s own 360 Reality Audio and also comes with Dolby Atmos sound tuned in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment. It has Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2 protection on the front and the back, as well as IP65/68 ratings for dust and water resistance. It features a side-mounted fingerprint sensor and packs a 5000mAh battery with support for fast charging and Qi wireless charging.
Sony Xperia 5 V specifications
- 6.1-inch (2520 x 1080) FHD+ OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, 120Hz refresh rate, 240Hz Motion blur reduction, 240Hz Touch scanning rate, Creator mode “powered by CineAlta”—Inspired by Master Monitor color reproduction, DCI-P3 100%, ITU-R BT.2020 (REC.2020), Illuminant D65 White point, 10 bit tonal gradation, X1 for mobile, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2 protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 740 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR5X RAM, 256GB (UFS 4.0) internal memory, expandable memory up to 1TB via microSD card
- Android 13
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 52MP rear camera with Exmor T sensorfor mobile, 1/1.3.5″ sensor, f/1.9 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 12MP f/2.2 aperture 1/2.4″123° 16 mm ultra wide-angle camera, ZEISS T* coating, Real-Time Eye AF (Human, Animal), Real-Time Tracking, 4K HDR video recording up to 120fps
- 12MP front-facing camera with 1/2.9″ Exmor RS mobile sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 84° wide-angle lens, 4K video recording
- 3.5 mm audio jack, 360 Reality Audio, 360 Reality Audio hardware decoding, 360 Spatial Sound19, Full-Stage stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm aptX HD audio
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions:154 x 68 x 8.6mm; Weight: 182g
- Water resistant (IPX5/IPX8), Dust proof (IP6X)
- 5G (sub-6GHz) / 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E 802.11 ax (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.3, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.2 Type-C
- 5000mAh Battery with 30W (USB PD) fast charging, Xperia Adaptive Charging, Battery Care, STAMINA Mode, Qi Wireless charging, Battery Share function
Pricing and availability
The Sony Xperia 5 V comes in Black, Blue and Platinum Silver colours and is priced at 999 Euros (USD 1,085 / Rs. 89,670 approx.) / 849 GBP and will roll out from late September. Those who buy the phone between 28th September – 26th October 2023 will get an exclusive Xperia 5 V launch bundle with the WH-CH720N headphones across major UK retailers