Huawei just announced the Mate X3, the company’s latest foldable phone, at an event in China, alongside the P60 Series. This is the successor to the Mate X2, which was announced back in 2021. This has a 7.85-inch OLED screen on the inside with a 120Hz refresh rate and a 240Hz touch sampling rate, and a 6.4-inch external 120Hz LTPO (1-120Hz) OLED screen with a 300Hz touch sampling rate.
The Mate X3 is said to be the world’s first folding phone with four curves. It looks smooth and elegant. This also features an anti-fingerprint feather and glass version and a plain leather version.
The company says that it has used a “new generation of double-rotation water drop hinge,” and the hinge supports the phone in multiple angles for those no-tripod selfies. It runs the company’s own HarmonyOS 3.1, which adds useful features like a split-screen mode for video calls and video watching and a new nightstand mode that shows the weather and time.
It has a 50MP main camera, 13MP ultra wide-angle, and 12MP 5X telephoto. There is an 8MP front camera on the inner and outer screen. The phone is powered by Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 SoC and packs a 4800mAh battery with 66W wired fast charging. There’s also a special Mate X3 Collector’s Edition that features a large, 5060mAh silicon carbon battery that supports 66W wired and 50W wireless fast charging support.
In terms of protection, the foldable comes with IPX8 water resistance, impact resistance inner screen, and outer screen made of Kunlun glass. There’s also support for two-way Beidou satellite messaging. It’s unclear whether the firm will implement the same on global versions.
HUAWEI Mate X3 specifications
- 6.45-inch (2504 × 1080 pixels) LTPO OLED display with 120Hz refresh rate external display, 7.85-inch (2496 × 2224 pixels) LTPS OLED display with 120Hz refresh rate when unfolded, DCI-P3 color gamut, 1440 Hz high-frequency PWM dimming
- Up to 3.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen1 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU (4G only)
- 12GB RAM, 256GB / 512GB / 1 TB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with NM card
- HarmonyOS 3.1
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / NM card)
- 50MP camera with Sony IMX766 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, OIS, 13MP Ultra Wide Angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 2.5cm macro, 12MP Telephoto lens with f/3.4 aperture, 5x optical zoom, OIS, up to 50x digital zoom, OIS
- 8MP front camera with f/2.4 aperture (inner and outer screen)
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Dual Speakers
- Dimensions: 15698 x 72.4 (141.5 unfolded) x 5.3mm (unfolded) 11.08mm (folded); Weight: 241g (Feather sand version), 239g (Plain leather version), 242.5g (Collector’s Edition)
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual-band), NavIC, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C (GEN1)
- 4800mAh Li-ion battery / 5060mAh silicon carbon battery (Collector’s Edition) with 66W Wired and 50W Wireless SuperCharge support
Pricing and availability
The HUAWEI Mate X3 comes in Feather sand white, feather sand black, feather sand purple, Qingshandai, and dawn gold colours, is priced at 12,999 yuan (US$ 1,905 / Rs. 1,56,495 approx.) for the 256GB storage version, the 512GB storage version costs 13,999 yuan (US$ 2,051 / Rs. 1,68,490 approx.) and the 1TB version costs 15,999 yuan (US$ 2,344 / Rs. 1,92,610 approx.).
The phone is available to order and will go on sale in China from April 7th.