HUAWEI just announced Mate X2, the company’s latest foldable phone at an event in China, as it had promised. HUAWEI has chanced from its unique outward-folding screen design in the original Mate X to an inward-folding screen like the Galaxy Fold. This has an 8-inch OLED screen on the inside with 90Hz refresh rate, 180Hz touch sampling rate and a 6.45-inch external OLED screen with 240Hz touch sampling rate.
The company says that it has used “magnetron nano-optical film” and there is a minmal crease, thanks to the new hinge which is made of fiber and steel, which can withstand a pressure of more than 2,100MPa. In addition, the left and right halves of the Mate X2’s folding are wedge-shaped that gives an extra edge, and the thinnest part is just 4.4 mm. It runs Android 10 with EMUI 11 on top, but it will be the first phone to get HarmonyOS is April, said the company.
It has a 50MP RYYB main camera, 16MP ultra wide-angle, 12MP RYYB 3X telephoto and 8MP 10X periscope telephoto camera. There is a 16MP camera camera on the outside. The phone is powered by Kirin 9000 5G 5nm SoC with dedicated NPU and packs a 4,500mAh battery with 55W wired fast charging.
HUAWEI Mate X2 specifications
- 6.45-inch (2700 x 1160 pixels) flexible OLED display with 90Hz refresh rate outer display, 8-inch (2480 x 2200 pixels) OLED 8:7.1 display with 90Hz refresh rate when unfolded, DCI-P3 color gamut
- HUAWEI Kirin 9000 5G (1 x Cortex-A77 3.13 GHz + 3 x Cortex-A77 2.54 GHz + 4 x Cortex-A55 2.05 GHz) processor with ARM Mali-G78 MP24 GPU,Dual Big Core + Tiny Core NPUs (Neural-network Processing Unit)
- 8GB LPDDR4x RAM, 256GB / 512GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with NM card
- Android 10 with EMUI 11, HMS
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / NM card)
- 50MP RYYB Ultra Vision camera with f/1.9 aperture, OIS, 16MP Ultra Wide Angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 2.5cm macro, 12MP Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture, 3x optical zoom, OIS, 8MP periscope telephoto camera with 10X zoom, up to 100x digital zoom, OIS
- 16MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Dual Speakers
- Dimensions: 161.8 x 74.6 (145.8 unfolded) x 4.4 mm to 8.2 mm (unfolded) 13.6 to 14.7 mm (folded); Weight: 295g
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual-band), NavIC, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C (GEN1)
- 4500mAh (2250mAh x 2 ) battery with 55W SuperCharge
The HUAWEI Mate X2 comes in Black, White, Crystal Blue and Crystal Pink colours, is priced at 17,999 yuan (US$ 2783 / Rs. 2,01,705 approx.) for the 256GB storage version and the 512GB storage version costs 18,999 yuan (US$ 2938 / Rs. 2,12,970 approx.) . It will go on sale starting from China from February 25.