HONOR just announced the HONOR Magic Vs, the company’s latest flagship foldable smartphone, as it had promised. The successor to the Magic V retains the 7.9-inch FHD+ 90Hz OLED foldable inner screen with 21:9 aspect ratio and a 90% screen-to-body ratio, 6.45-inch FHD+ 120Hz AMOLED external screen.
There is Dynamic Dimming, Circadian Night Display, which effectively minimizes the negative effects of blue light, and both screens have 1920Hz PWM Dimming technology to reduce screen flickering. This replaces the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 with Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 SoC, and has up to 12GB of RAM. It runs MagicOS 7.0 based on Android 12.
The HONOR Magic Vs is 12.9mm thin when folded and weighs 261g, making it the industry’s lightest foldable smartphone currently, said the company.
The phone features a symmetrical and seamless design, and a sophisticated super-light gearless hinge carefully crafted with a single-piece casting processing technology without gap offering a creaseless display when unfolded, according to the company.
HONOR said that it has drastically reduced the number of components of supporting structure used in the hinge from 92 to 44 in the predecessor, while maintaining its durability and sturdiness. It is built with aerospace-grade materials and can withstand over 400,000 folds, equivalent to more than ten years of use with 100 folds per day.
The HONOR Magic Vs has a 54MP IMX800 Main Camera, a 50MP Ultra-Wide camera with macro option and an 8MP 3X Optical Zoom Camera. It uses AI-enabled HONOR Image Engine. The HONOR Magic Vs Ultimate Edition also supports Magic-Pen stylus input with a delay as low as 2ms.
The phone packs a 5,000mAh battery compared to 4750mAh in the predecessor. This has the largest battery in the same class of existing foldable smartphones currently, said the company. It supports 66W Wired HONOR SuperCharge fast charging that can charge up to 100% in 46 minutes.
Honor Magic V specifications
- 7.9-inch (2272 × 1984 Pixels) FHD+ OLED 10.3:9 aspect ratio display with 90Hz refresh rate, 1920Hz high frequency PWM eye protection, HDR10+, 1.07 billion colors, DCI-P3 Wide Color Gamut, up to 800 nits brightness
- 6.45-inch (2560 × 1080 Pixels) FHD+ OLED 21:9 aspect ratio display with 120Hz refresh rate, 1920Hz high frequency PWM eye protection, HDR10+, 1.07 billion colors, DCI-P3 Wide Color Gamut, up to 1200 nits brightness
- Octa Core Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU
- 8GB / 12GB RAM with 256GB storage / 512GB storage, 16GB RAM with 512GB storage (Ultimate)
- Magic UI 7.0 based on Android 12
- Dual SIM
- 50MP Camera with IMX800 sensor, f/1.9 aperture, LED flash, 50MP ultra-wide camera with f/2.0 aperture, macro option, 8MP 3X Optical Zoom Camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 16MP front camera with f/2.45 aperture
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- USB Type-C Audio, Stereo speakers, certified by IMAX Enhanced, 3-MIC Stereo Voice Reception, DTS: X Ultra Algorithm
- Dimensions: 160.3x 141.5mm (72.6mm when folded) ×6.1 (12.9 when folded) mm; Weight: 261g
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 Dual band), NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C (GEN1)
- 5000mAh (typical) battery with 66W Super fast wired charging
Pricing and availability
The HONOR Magic Vs comes in Orange, Cyan and Black colours and is priced at 7499 yuan (US$ 1048 / Rs. 85,705 approx.) for 8GB + 256GB, 7999 yuan (US$ 1117 / Rs. 91,420 approx.) for the 12GB + 256GB and the top-end 12GB + 512GB model costs 8999 yuan (US$ 1257 / Rs. 1,02,845 approx.). The HONOR Magic Vs Ultimate 16GB + 512GB model in Black and Gold colours cost 10888 yuan (US$ 1,520 / Rs. 1,24,435 approx.).
It is available to order in China and will go on sale from November 30th. The company has confirmed that this will be the company’s first model to launch in the global markets soon.
Commenting on the launch, George Zhao, CEO of HONOR Device Co, Ltd, said:
We are thrilled to introduce our next-generation foldable flagship, the HONOR Magic Vs, which packs groundbreaking innovations and exceptional user experience into an elegant and stylish design. The HONOR Magic Vs will be our very first foldable flagship to debut in overseas markets, and we are confident that it will deliver huge advancements, transforming how people all around the world use their smartphones.