At the Google I/O 2022 developer conference, Google unveiled the Pixel Buds Pro, a far more premium edition of their in-ear truly wireless earbuds, after rumours. The Pixel Buds Pro, which were designed as a direct competitor to Apple’s AirPods Pro, comprise active noise cancellation, a transparency mode, multiple access Bluetooth connectivity, as well as an IPX4 water-resistant rating, among other things.
The Pixel Buds Pro would be the first Pixel Buds to include active noise cancellation with Silent Seal to maximise outside noise being blocked. To cancel out noise, the earbuds have a custom 6-core audio processor, which uses tailored algorithms. They also employ a feature known as Silent Seal, which adapts to the shape of your ears in order to achieve maximum noise cancellation.
The earbuds have a 11mm custom-designed driver. Volume EQ calibrates audio tuning based on volume level. A 5-band EQ allows you to further configure the audio. The Pixel Buds Pro, like many other earbuds, have a transparency mode. It thus allows ambient sound to enter, so you do not really miss important audio cues without having to remove your earbuds.
The earbuds incorporate pressure sensors. Google claims the earbuds actively measure pressure within your ears to make them comfy, but how they do this is undisclosed. Later this year, the Pixel Buds Pro will get a spatial audio update. On Pixel phones that support spatial audio, customers can enjoy multidimensional sound. Other features include beamforming microphones, a voice-accelerometer, wind-blocking, multipoint connectivity, and touch controls. Hands-free Google Assistant assistance with real-time translation is also incorporated. The earbuds are IPX4 and the casing is IPX2 rated.
Quick specifications: Google Pixel Buds Pro
- Compatibility: Pairs with any Bluetooth 4.0+ device, including Android, iOS, tablets, and laptops
- Sweat & Water Resistant: Earbuds IPX4・Case IPX2
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0
- Audio: Custom-designed 11 mm dynamic speaker driver
- Features: Active Noise Cancellation, Transparency mode, Volume EQ and Active in-ear pressure relief
- Voice: Three microphones, Voice accelerometer and Wind-blocking mesh covers
- Sensors: Capacitive touch sensors for music, calls, and Assistant controls, IR proximity sensor, Motion-detecting accelerometer and gyroscope
- Charging case: USB-C charging port, Qi-certified wireless charging and Hall Effect sensor for case open and close detection
- Battery: With Active Noise Cancellation off, up to 11 hours of earbuds listening time, and up to 31 hours total listening time with the charging case
With Active Noise Cancellation on, up to 7 hours of earbuds listening time, and up to 20 hours of total listening time with the charging case
- Fast Charge: 5-minute charge of earbuds in the charging case delivers up to 1 hour of listening time and 15-minute charge of earbuds in the charging case delivers up to 3 hours of listening time.
- Dimensions: Each earbud: 0.88 x 0.87 x 0.93 in・22.33 x 22.03 x 23.72 mm and Charging case: 0.98 x 1.97 x 2.49 in・25 x 50 x 63.2 mm
- Weight: Each earbud: 0.22 oz (6.2 g) (with medium eartip) and Charging case: 2.2 oz (62.4 g) (with earbuds)
- What’s in the box: Earbuds, Wireless charging case and Eartips x3 (S x M x L)
Pricing and availability
The Google Pixel Buds Pro are priced at $199 (Rs. 15390 approx.), and they are offered in the following four color options: Lemongrass, Charcoal, Fog, and Coral.
Pre-orders begin on July 21 alongside the newly released Pixel 6a smartphone, and will roll out from July 28 in stores.