Along with the Galaxy S22 and S22+, Samsung also announced the Galaxy S22 Ultra at its Galaxy Unpacked online event. It packs a 6.8-inch Quad HD+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X Infinity-O Display with 1-120Hz variable refresh rate, same as the predecessor, but this is brighter at up to 1750 nits brightness. It is powered by Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 / Exynos 2200 4nm 5G SoCs depending on the market.
Samsung has new Gel-TIM thermal paste capable of transferring heat 3.5x more efficiently. The ‘Nano-TIM,’ a component that shields electromagnetic interference, transfers heat to the vapor chamber more efficiently. The thinner and more durable vapor chamber made of double-bonded stainless steel now covers a wider area from the AP (application processor) to the battery, which improves heat transfer. The phone alsoo has a wide graphite sheet which diffuses heat away from the vapor chamber.
The phone features an in-display Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner and run Android 12 with OneUI 4.1. It comes with a Galaxy Note’s iconic
sharp angles, has a primary 108-megapixel primary sensor with OIS, 12-megapixel Ultra Wide Lens with a 120-degree field of view, 10-megapixel Telephoto lens for 3x zoom, a 10MP Periscope lens for 10x zoom and supports 100x digital zoom and a 3D ToF sensor. The phone features a 40-megapixel front-facing camera. It also supports 8K video shooting.
The S22 Ultra has Ultra-wideband capabilities (UWB) embedded, has a glass back that is also protected by Gorilla Glass Victus+ and comes with IP68 ratings for dust and water resistance. It packs a 5000mAh battery with support for 45W fast charging, 15W wireless and reverse wireless charging.
The Galaxy S22 Ultra also becomes the first Galaxy S series phone to come with a built-in S Pen Stylus with Wacom tech, unlike the S21 Ultra which had the support, but was sold as a separate accessory. The S Pen has 70% lower latency compared to S21 Ultra, says Samsung.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra specifications
- 6.8-inch (3088 x 1440 pixels) Quad HD+ Infinity-O-Edge Dynamic AMOLED Display, 1-120Hz refresh rate, 240Hz Touch Sampling Rate in Game Mode, up to 1750 nits brightness, Gorilla Glass Victus+ protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 4nm Mobile Platform / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 2200 processor
- 8GB RAM with 128GB storage, 12GB RAM with 256GB/512GB/1TB storage
- Android 12 with One UI 4.1
- 108MP rear camera with LED Flash, OIS, f/1.8 aperture, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture, 10MP Telephoto lens for 3x zoom, f/2.4 aperture, OIS, 10MP Periscope lens for 10x zoom, f/4.9 aperture, 100x Space Zoom, Laser autofocus, 4K 60 fps, 8K 30fps
- 40MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Dust and Water resistant (IP68)
- Dimensions: 163×77.9×8.9mm; Weight:229g
- 5G SA/NSA, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2, UWB, GPS + GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- 5000mAh battery with 45W fast charging, 15W Qi wireless charging
The Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra comes in Burgundy, Phantom Black, Phantom White and Green Colours. Similar to the S22 and the S22+, the S22 Ultra will also come in online exclusive colors – Graphite, Red and Sky Blue in select countries.
Pricing and availability
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 8GB + 128GB – $1,199 (Rs. 89,725 approx.) / £1,149 (Rs. 1,16,560 approx.) / €1,249 (Rs. 1,06,950 approx.)
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 12GB + 256GB – $1299.99 (Rs. 97,295 approx.) / £1,249 (Rs. 1,26,690 approx.) / €1,349 (Rs. 1,15,520 approx.)
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 12GB + 512GB – $1399.99 (Rs. 1,04,780 approx.) / £1,329 (Rs. 1,34,805 approx.) / €1,449 (Rs. 1,24,015 approx.)
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 12GB + 1TB – $1599.99 (Rs. 1,19,750 approx.)
The phone will be available to pre-order from today, February 9 and will start shipping from February 25th in several countries.