OPPO just announced the Find N, the company first foldable smartphone at its INNO Day 2021 event, as it had promised. This comes after four years of research and development and six generations of prototypes. OPPO said that the phone brings together cutting-edge technology and unprecedented quality to create an improved foldable experience, offering a fully functioning compact smartphone when folded and an intuitive and immersive landscape display when unfolded.
The OPPO Find N has a Flexion Hinge that brings together 136 components with extreme precision of up to 0.01 mm, ensuring the hinge works as smoothly as the joints in the human body.
OPPO said that the unique water-drop hinge design solves some of the biggest pain points in foldable devices by widening the angle of the fold in the display and offering a buffer when the display folds, resulting in a minimal crease that is up to 80% less noticeable compared with other devices, according to TUV.
The company adds that the design also practically eliminates the gap between displays when folded, offering a more integrated look and better protecting the inner display from scratches.
The cam and spring structure inside the advanced Flexion Hinge allows the device to freely stand when unfolded at any angle between 50-120 degrees. Together with a range of software features that take advantage of the folding display, FlexForm Mode on the OPPO Find N gives users the flexibility to adapt the device to a wide range of usage scenarios.
OPPO has customized the user interface to operate better and more efficiently in compatible apps like the Music, Notes and Camera apps. For example, in the Notes app, the OPPO Find N can convert into a mini laptop, allowing users to take notes without needing to hold the device.
Since the Find N can freely stand at various angles, the device also serves as its own tripod.
The phone has a 7.1-inch inner 12-layer Serene Display that promises excellent protection and durability and works with the Flexion Hinge for a smooth foldable experience. The display includes a 0.03 mm layer of Flexion UTG (ultra-thin glass), compared to 0.6 mm for regular smartphone glass, allowing it to easily bend while providing strong durability.
The Serene Display is also very reliable, with the ability to be folded over 200,000 times while still maintaining an overall smooth folding experience with next to no crease, as verified by TUV, said OPPO.
The inner screen uses an LTPO 1-120 Hz dynamic refresh rate, up to 1,000 Hz touch sampling rate. With an 8.4:9 aspect ratio, the inner display unfolds directly into landscape mode.
There is a 5.49-inch outer display with 18:9 aspect ratio. Both screens provide 10,240 automatic brightness levels and a peak brightness of up to 1,000 nits.
OPPO says that the 7.1-inch inner display of the Find N will offer a 60% larger visual area than a standard 6.5-inch display, creating a more immersive experience and more possibilities for software innovations in usage scenarios like multitasking and productivity.
To make full use of the larger tablet-like experience when unfolded, the OPPO Find N includes new gestures to make side-by-side multitasking more intuitive. When using a compatible app, simply use two fingers to swipe down in the middle of the device to split the screen in half, or turn a full-screen window into a floating window by pinching it with four fingers.
The OPPO Find N also supports traditional split-screen gestures, such as long pressing and dragging compatible icons, while allowing you to save commonly used multi-app split-screen combinations to the home screen.
The software allows users to smoothly and naturally switch between the two screens. When unfolding the phone, the content is seamlessly relayed from the outer screen to the main inner display.
OPPO Find N specifications
- Main Display: 7.1-inch (1792 × 1920 pixels) WUSXGA 1-120Hz adaptive refresh rate, 370 PPI, 8.4:9 aspect ratio, up to 1000 nits brightness, 100% DCI-P3, 100% sRGB color gamut, SCHOTT UTG glass protection
- Outer Display: 5.49-inch (1972 × 988 pixels) FHD+ 60Hz refresh rate, 402 PPI, 18:9 aspect ratio, up to 1000 nits brightness, 100% DCI-P3, 100% sRGB color gamut, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- SoC: Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform
- RAM/ROM: 8GB LPDDR5 RAM with 256GB UFS 3.1 storage / 12GB LPDDR5 RAM with 512GB UFS 3.1 storage
- Software: Android 11 with ColorOS 12
- Rear camera: 50MP (primary wide-angle) f/1.6 aperture, Sony IMX 766 sensor, OIS, 16MP (123° ultra-wide) f/2.2 aperture, 13MP (telephoto) f/2.4 aperture, 2x zoom, Samsung S5K3M5; LED flash, Video: Up to 4K 60fps
- Front camera (Inner + outer): 32MP with f/2.4 aperture, Sony IMX615 sensor
- Fingerprint: Side-mounted
- Connectivity: 5G SA/NSA, 4G, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2, USB Type-C, NFC, GPS L1+L5, GALILEO: E1+E5a, Beidou: B1l+B1c+B2a, QZSS: L1+L5
- Audio: USB Type-C Audio, Stereo Speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Dimensions: 132.6×73×15.9mm; Weight: 275 grams
- Battery: 4,500mAh (Typical) battery with 33W SUPERVOOC Flash Charge for 0 to 55% in 30 minutes, 100% in 70 minutes, 15W AIRVOOC wireless charging (compatible with standard Qi) and 10W reverse wireless charging
Pricing and availability
The OPPO Find N comes in Black with glittery matte glass and new film lamination techniques, a White version that is inspired by a white ceramic glaze, with glossy glass and a refined texture and the Purple version is reminiscent of a bottle of luxury perfume, using multiple layers of customized films to create illusions of light and shadow with a transparent texture.
It is priced at 7699 yuan (US$ 1209 / Rs. 91,990 approx.) for the 8GB + 256GB version and the 12GB + 512GB version costs 8999 yuan (US$ 1,414 / Rs. 1,07,560 approx.). It will be available to order today and will go on sale from December 23rd in China.
Commenting on the launch, Pete Lau, Chief Product Officer of OPPO, said:
New form factors are ushering in an exciting new time in smartphone technology. OPPO has invested a significant amount of time and effort into coming up with a better approach to a foldable smartphone, experimenting with a range of form factors, hinge designs, display materials and aspect ratios, to create a new device that meets the needs of more users. With the OPPO Find N, we aim to change people’s perceptions about what a smartphone can offer and begin making foldable devices more accessible to an even larger audience.