OnePlus has finally confirmed that the company’s upcoming Nord2 5G smartphone will use the MediaTek Dimensity 1200 SoC, after the rumours from earlier this year and a recent render leak. The company said that this will bring new AI based features to the OnePlus Nord 2 5G to enhance the user experience across various touchpoints. To highlight the new AI capabilities of the chipset, OnePlus and MediaTek are calling it Dimensity 1200-AI, which the companies say will distinguish it from the standard Dimensity 1200.
The OnePlus Nord 2 5G will integrate AI-assisted photography for superior imaging, display enhancements for a top-ranking user experience, better response times for faster and smoother gaming, and much more, said the company.
Highlights of AI features in OnePlus Nord2 5G
- AI imaging technology enables a smarter, more responsive photography experience with enhanced results.
- For stills, AI Photo Enhancement is capable of recognizing up to 22 different photography scenarios and automatically adjusts the color tones and contrast to ensure photos are optimized for maximum quality even at night and in other low-light environments.
- For videos, the AI Video Enhancement feature enables live HDR effects in real time during recording.
- AI-customized chipset uses DOL-HDR technology to improve image quality, adjust tuning while live recording, and enhance the color range and color accuracy of videos. This results in better shadow detail, highlight retention and greater dynamic range.
- Visual experiences are more dynamic and intuitive with the deep integration of AI technologies. Key enhancements include AI Color Boost technology, which utilizes the context awareness capabilities of AI to automatically convert standard dynamic range to high dynamic range. AI Resolution Boost automatically enhances video resolution to HD resolution on popular social media apps.
- Smart Ambient Display utilizes AI to dynamically control the brightness of the screen based on the lighting conditions around users and the content being displayed on the screen, ensuring an intuitive, comfortable viewing experience at all times
- MediaTek Dimensity 1200-AI also provides a superior gaming experience. Users will be able to game at high refresh rate with titles like Brawl Stars. Users can also take advantage of the device’s low latency, improved heat management, and efficient power consumption to game for longer.
OnePlus Nord 2 5G India launch soon
The OnePlus Nord 2 5G will launch in India soon, according to the teaser posted by the company. As usual, it will be sold on Amazon.in after the launch. Recent rumours say that it will be introduced by the end of this July.
Coming soon. pic.twitter.com/lNAvUlNoy8
— OnePlus India (@OnePlus_IN) July 7, 2021
OnePlus Nord 2 5G rumoured specifications
The phone is expected to feature a 6.43-inch punch-hole screen, same as the Nord CE, and this should be the same FHD+ AMOLED display with a 90Hz refresh rate. It is said to measure 160 x 73.8 x 8.1mm, retain the alert slider from the first Nord. The phone is expected to come with a 50MP IMX766 primary sensor, an 8MP ultra-wide camera and a 2MP B&W sensor for portrait shots. It is said to feature a 32MP front camera and a 4500mAh battery.
Commenting on the upcoming phone, Pete Lau, Founder of OnePlus, said:
At OnePlus, we are committed to sharing the best technology with the world, and the OnePlus Nord line reaffirms this mission in a more accessible price category. The fast and smooth smartphone experience is an integral part of what makes OnePlus unique, and we are always seeking new ways and technologies that allow us to bring that experience to more users.
Dr. JC Hsu, Corporate VP and GM of MediaTek’s Wireless Communications Business Unit, said:
The Dimensity 1200-AI is the first example of MediaTek’s Dimensity Open Resource Architecture initiative, optimizing the powerful Dimensity 1200 5G chipset to deliver a customized experience for OnePlus users. As AI is reshaping the future of chipset technology, this initiative gives brands like OnePlus access to the latest AI-powered capabilities with the flexibility to innovate in new and exciting ways.