There have been reports of Sony’s Compact and Premium smartphones set to make a comeback next year and while that’s not confirmed yet, on the other side, the company has announced a new ‘Lite’ smartphone in its Xperia lineup that is largely similar to last year’s Xperia 10 smartphone.
Sony has announced the Xperia 8 Lite in Japan which flaunts a 6-inch FULL HD+ 21:9 LCD display with huge bezels at the top. It is powered by the Octa-Core Snapdragon 630 14nm Mobile Platform paired with 4GB RAM and 64GB internal storage that can be expanded up to 512GB through microSD. It has a metal frame and both the glass front and back panels are protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 6. There is a side-mounted fingerprint scanner as well.
As for the optics, it sports dual rear cameras which is a combination of 12MP (primary with f/1.8 aperture) + 8MP (secondary with f/2.4 aperture). The product page does not clearly specify what the secondary camera does as there are references to background blur and 2x optical zoom. Moving on, the front-facing camera is a 8MP f/2.0 shooter. There is support for 21:9 photo and video capture, portrait selfie, 4K video recording, 120fps slow motion and Steady Shot/Electronic Video Stabilization (EIS). It runs on Android 9 Pie and lastly, it packs a 2870mAh battery with Adaptive Charging.
Sony Xperia 8 Lite specifications
- Display: 6-inch (2560 x 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 21:9 aspect ratio Wide display
- SoC: Octa-Core Snapdragon 630 14nm Mobile Platform clocked at 2.2GHz; Adreno 508 GPU
- RAM: 4GB
- ROM: 64GB, expandable memory up to 512GB via microSD card
- OS: Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Single SIM
- Cameras – Rear: 12MP (primary with f/1.8 aperture) + 8MP (secondary with f/2.4 aperture)
- Front: 8MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture,
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 158 x 69 x 8.1 mm; Weight: 170g
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C, 3.5mm jack
- Battery: 2870mAh with Adaptive Charging
- Colors: Black, White
Pricing and availability
The Xperia 8 Lite is priced at 28,500 Japanese Yen (US$ 280 / Rs. 20,826 approx.) and will be available starting September 1st, 2020 in Japan. There is no information on the international availability yet.