Apple just announced iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, the company’s latest flagship smartphones at an event, as expected. The new iPhones have 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch 458PPI Super Retina HDR displays with support for Dolby Vision and HDR 10, as well as 120Hz touch-sensing. Both these have Face ID for unlocking.
Apple is also introducing Dual SIM support with dual standby via eSIM that is already available on iPad worldwide for the first time. The company is tying up with operators for this. However, China will get support for Dual physical SIMs.
These are powered by new Apple A12 Bionic chip based on 7nm platform, first in the industry, before the Huawei’s Kirin 980 next month. The chip with 6-core CPU with two performance cores promises 15% fast performance and 40% lower power, and 4 efficiency cores will offer up to 50% lower power compared to A11 Bionic. It has 6.9 billion transistors, can perform 5 trillion operations per second, up from 600 billion in A11.
The iPhone XS series have the same 12-megapixel primary rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, and a 12-megapixel secondary telephoto camera with f/2.4 aperture, both with OIS. It also has Smart HDR that makes use of A12 chip’s AI features.
The 7-megapixel front camera has f/2.2 aperture, and the IR camera has been improved with global shutter and has improved Dot projector says the company.
Apple iPhone XS and XS Max specifications
- iPhone XS – 5.8-inch (2436 x 1125 pixels) OLED 458ppi Super Retina HDR display, 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio (typical) 3D Touch
- iPhone XS Max – 6.5-inch (2688 x 1245 pixels) OLED 458ppi Super Retina HDR display, 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio (typical) 3D Touch
- Six-core A12 Bionic 64-bit 7nm processor with four-core GPU, Next-generation Neural Engine
- 64GB, 256GB, 512GB storage options
- iOS 12
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM / physical SIM in China)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.8) and telephoto (f/2.4) cameras, Dual optical image stabilization, Optical zoom; Six‑element lens, Quad-LED True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240 fps
- 7MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture, 1080p video recording,Retina Flash
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition, Stereo speakers, Four microphones
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Dimensions (XS) – 143.6×70.9×7.7 mm; Weight: 177g
- Dimensions (XS Max) – 157.5×77.4×7.7 mm; Weight: 208g
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with Qi wireless charging, fast charging, up to 12 hours of internet use (iPhone XS) / 13 hours of internet use (iPhone XS Max)
The Apple iPhone XS and XS Max Gold, silver and Space Gray colors. The iPhone Xs starts at US$ 999 (Rs. 71,813 approx.) and the iPhone XS Max starts at US$ 1,099 (Rs. 79,001 approx.) . These will be available in more than 30 countries and territories from September 21st with pre-orders starting tomorrow, September 14th. These will launch in India starting from September 21st starting at Rs. 99,900 (MRP) and Rs. 109,900 (MRP), respectively.