Earlier this month, Xiaomi launched the Redmi Note 5 in China which was launched as Redmi Note 5 Pro in India. The Redmi Note 5 China variant has a couple of changes as compare to Redmi Note 5 Pro, it runs Android 8.1 (Oreo) with Treble support and has Dual 4G VoLTE support for both the SIM cards. Earlier, this week, MIUI Global Beta ROM for Redmi Note 5 Pro was leaked, which is based on Android 8.1 (Oreo).
We have installed this ROM on our unit and in case you also want to flash Android Oreo based MIUI Global ROM on your phone this guide will help you,
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro with an unlocked bootloader – To Unlock the bootloader of your device, apply here for unlocking the bootloader.
- MIUI ROM for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro – Download the ROM ZIP file from here, we have installed 8.3.29 build on our device and links for Latest ROMs are updated every day.
- TWRP for Redmi Note 5 Pro – You can download the recovery file from here.
- ADB software (For windows) / Android zip file (For Mac)
If you are on a Mac you need to
- Extract the Android zip and place the folder on your Desktop.
- Open Terminal
- Type cd Desktop/Android
- Enter ./ADB-Install-Mac.sh
- Switch off the phone and boot it into Fastboot mode by long pressing Power and Volume down buttons simultaneously.
- Connect your phone to PC by a USB cable, open command prompt on your PC and navigate to the folder where you have downloaded TWRP Recovery ZIP.
- Type ‘fastboot devices’ in command prompt and check if the device is detected by the system.
- If the system detects the phone, type ‘fastboot flash recovery twrp_filename.zip’ and hit enter, the process will be completed in seconds.
- Now long press the Volume up and Power Button to boot the phone in recovery mode.
- It will ask to allow modifications, Slide towards right to allow Modifications.
- Select ‘Wipe’, and choose ‘Advanced Wipe’, tick on ‘Dalvik / ART Cache’, ‘System’. ‘Data’, ‘Cache’ and then swipe towards right to Wipe.
- Go back and click on ‘Install’, navigate to the location where you have stored ROM file, it’s better to keep ROM file on SD Card or USB OTG drives. Select the ROM file and swipe towards right to flash.
- Click on ‘Reboot’ and then ‘System’, it might show ‘No OS Installed’, but there is no need to worry and you can continue booting the device.
- Within 5 minutes device will boot with latest MIUI Beta ROM.
MIUI Global Beta 8.3.29 comes with April security patch as mentioned in About Phone section under Settings. This update also has support for Dual 4G VoLTE but it didn’t work in our case, we tried with Jio and Airtel connections. The MIUI Beta ROM is based on Android Oreo 8.1 with Treble Support, the update also enables iPhone X-like gestures on the Redmi Note 5 Pro. If you face any issues installing let us know in the comments below.
Warning disclaimer: Bootloader and flashing ROM doesn’t void warranty of Xiaomi devices, but FoneArena is not responsible for any damage or loss caused to your Redmi Note 5 Pro.