Why do bloggers shoot and write about unboxing of a device? Is it because they love to shoot the unwrapping of recyclable plastic? Well, tech bloggers write about unboxing with the hope of actually discovering some truly innovative accessories in the box that add to the experience of using the main guy in the box – the Phone! After over a decade of unappetizing unboxing experiences, we are delighted to introduce a device that will change the afterlife destiny of the box you bring your newly purchased goody, in! Say hello to the truly ‘smart’ device Honor 8 Pro with Honor VR cardboard glasses IN THE BOX!
Several brands install awesome features in devices, waiting for consumers to spend more and buy their accessories to make the most of their ‘well-priced’ devices, i.e. if the consumer aspires to truly appreciate the best experience with the device. Adding a VR cardboard glass surely does not do what a high-quality VR pair would do! At least it is a start to allow the customer to use the device to its full potential.
Now about the device; what’s the ‘Pro’ factor in the Honor 8 Pro? Honor has introduced ‘Highlights’, a new feature co-developed with GoPro to allow better image sharing experience. Based on a local (on device) picture tagging technology, the Gallery will automatically order pictures and generate photo albums based on people, places, events.
Another cool feature of the device allows users to generate films with the GoPro Quik app and relish it through the glasses.. The pre-stalled GoPro Quik also has advanced editing features.
Honor 8 Pro boasts of 12 MP+ 12 MP dual back camera and a rather impressive 8 MP single front facing camera.
With a power packed combo of 6GB RAM, 64GB ROM and 4000 mAh battery the device can be used well to relish the GoPro features endlessly unless you are using the card board glasses in the rain! It also has support for fast charging so you can charge the phone fully in about 1 hour and 50 minutes.
Look wise the device is wisely designed. At first glance, it seems to inherit the silhouette of Huawei P series phones. Huawei’s P9 and P10 are among the highest priced.
The new Honor device is much slimmer than the Apple iPhone7 Plus. Honor 8 Pro thickness measures at 6.97 mm. Slimmer than 7.30 mm size of iPhone 7 Plus. Honor 8 Pro dual lens camera’s insertion in the device without any protruding parts saves the Huawei phone those extra mm points of thickness.
Honor 8 Pro specifications
- 5.7-inch (2560 x 1440 pixels) Quad HD LTPS 2.5D curved glass display, 515 PPI
- Octa-Core 4 x CortexA53 (1.8GHz) + 4 x ARTEMIS (2.4GHz) Kirin 960 processor with Mali G71 Octa-core GPU
- 6GB RAM, 64GB internal storage storage, expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Android 7.0 (Nougat) with Emotion UI 5.1
- Hybird Dual SIM (nano SIM + nano SIM / microSD)
- 12MP (Monochrome) + 12MP (RGB) Dual rear cameras, dual-tone LED flash, f/2.2 aperture, 4k video recording
- 8MP front-facing camera, f/2.0 aperture
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Dimensions: 157 x 77.50 x 6.97mm; Weight: 184g
- 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11ac (2.4GHz/5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2 LE, GPS, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh (typical) / 3900mAh (minimum) battery with fast charging
The Honor 8 Pro is priced at 474.99 GBP (US$ 592 / Rs. 38,450 approx.) in the UK and costs 549 Euros (US$ 585 / Rs. 38,030 approx.) in Europe. It is available for pre-order from Honor’s vMall.eu in three different bundles and goes on sale from Amazon from April 20th. It is expected to strut into the Indian market soon, hopefully with the global colour palette of Navy Blue, Midnight Black and Platinum Gold.