GSM Association has announced the winners for the 22nd annual Global Mobile Awards at the GSMA Mobile World Congress 2017 in Barcelona. Last year Samsung Galaxy S6 edge got the award for the best smartphone. This year the Galaxy S7 Edge wins the award, Amazon Echo received Disruptive Device Innovation Award, Huawei won Best Mobile Infrastructure award for Active Antenna Unit (AAU) Network System.
Reliance Jio Infocomm and Samsung Networks won award for Best Mobile Innovation for Emerging Markets for Jio Digital Movement India.
Update: Sony won Best New Smartphone or Connected Mobile Device for Sony Xperia XZ Premium.
Commenting on the award, Jyotindra Thacker, President of Jio, said:
We are pleased to have won this prestigious award in joint effort with Samsung Electronics, who have been a reliable partner in our pursuit to creating a truly Digital India.By continuing to introduce consumer-centric options in our services and much easier access, we hope to bring down India’s digital divide and enable every Indian to benefit from digital life.
Youngky Kim, President and Head of Network Business at Samsung Electronics, said:
Today’s achievement signified more than just an award, it is an indicator of the transformation we have brought to India and its people.Samsung, as Jio’s strategic partner for the realization of Digital India, is pleased to be able to support the process of India taking steps towards becoming a pioneer in the global telecommunications industry.
Few more winners in other categories.
- Best Wearable Mobile Technology – Orange for Orange VR1
- Best Mobile Security or Anti-Fraud Solution – Samsung SDS for Samsung Mobile Security Management Suite
- Best Technology Enabler – Huawei for NFV Solution
- Outstanding Contribution for LTE Evolution to 5G – Huawei for the Evolution from 4.5G to 5G
- Best IoT Innovation for Mobile Networks – Nokia for Nokia end-to-end IoT Solution
- Mobile in Emergency or Humanitarian Situations – Turkcell for ”Hello Hope” Mobile App for İntegration of Syrian Refugees
- Best Use of Mobile for Accessibility & Inclusion – Turk Telekom and Boni for LOUD STEPS
- The Green Mobile Award – Ericsson and Telenor Myanmar for Pure Solar Myanmar
- Best Mobile App for the Connected Lifestyle – MINDBODY for MINDBODY App
- Best Mobile App for Virtual or Augmented Reality – Blippar for Blippar
- Best Mobile Video, TV or Film App – SK Telecom for oksusu (Jointly with SK Broadband)
- Best Mobile App for Business- Salesforce for Salesforce1
- Most Innovative Mobile App – Sliide Airtime Africa for Sliide
- Best Overall Mobile App (Judge’s Choice) – Niantic Inc. for Pokemon Go
- Outstanding Conribution to the mobile industry – For Inspirational Efforts in Support of Syrian Refugees Joint Winners: Asiacell, Deutsche Telekom, Turkcell, Zain and Vodafone
You can view the complete list of winners here.