Xiaomi just announced Mi 5, the company’s latest flagship smartphone at an event in China, as it promised. It has a 5.15-inch 1080p curved glass display, is powered by a Quad-Core Snadpragon 820 processor and runs on MIUI 7 based on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). It has a 16-megapixel rear camera with two-tone LED flash, phase-detection auto-focus (PDAF), resulting in a quick focus, DTI pixel isolation technology, Spectra image processor, 4-axis optical image stabilization (OIS), 4K video recording and a 4-megapixel front-facing camera with pixel size of 2 microns.
The fingerprint sensor is present in the home button. It has a 3D glass body with strong glass on the back, is 7.25mm thick and weighs just 129 grams. It has USB Type-C port and packs a 3000mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 that will offer talk time of up to 2.5 hours with just 5 minutes of charge.
Xiaomi Mi 5 specifications
- 5.15-inch (1920×1080 pixels) Full HD display with curved glass, 95% of the NTSC color gamut, 600 nits brightness
- Snapdragon 820 64-bit Quad-Core processor with Adreno 530 GPU
- 3GB LPDDR4 RAM / 32GB / 64GB (UFS 2.0) internal storage, 4GB LPDDR4 RAM / 128GB (UFS 2.0) internal storage
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow with MIUI 7
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 16-megapixel rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, Sony IMX298 sensor, f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, 4-axis OIS, 4K video recording
- 4MP front-facing camera with 2um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, 80-degree wide-angle lens
- Fingerprint scanner, Infrared sensor
- Dimensions: 144.55×69.2×7.25mm; Weight: 129g; Ceramic: 139g
- 4G LTE with VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac dual-band (MIMO), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, NFC, USB Type-C
- 3,000mAh (typical) / 2910mAh (minimum) built-in battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
The Xiaomi Mi 5 comes in Black, White and Gold colors and is priced at 1999 Yuan (US$ 306 / Rs. 20,969 approx) for the standard 3GB RAM with 32GB storage version with 1.8GHz Snapdragon 820 SoC, 2299 Yuan (US$ 351 / Rs. 24,092 approx) for the high-end version with the same 3GB RAM, 64GB storage and 2.15GHz Snapdragon 820 SoC and 2699 Yuan (US$ 413 / Rs. 28,312 approx.) for the exclusive Mi 5 Pro ceramic back edition with 4GB RAM, 128GB storage and 2.15GHz Snapdragon 820 SoC. It goes on sale in China from March 1st.
[Update: At the global launch event at the MWC, Hugo Barra said that the Mi 5 will launch in India soon, but no details about the time frame.]