Samsung has officially announced the Gear 360, its first 360 degree virtual reality camera as expected. It comes with dual fisheye lenses, both of which have 15 megapixel image sensors and can capture high-resolution (3840×1920) 360-degree video that also supports 30 megapixel still images.
Users can shoot 180-degree wide angle video and images with only using one side of the camera lens. Gear 360 offers Bright Lens F2.0, which creates high resolution images even in low-light conditions, where users can create full panoramic videos. Gear 360 features a user-friendly tripod and is also compatible with a wider selection of accessories and mounts currently available on the market.
When Gear 360 is synced with a Samsung smartphone, users will be able to preview content in real time when recording. Also, Gear 360 will automatically bring up filmed content for users to view and save on their smartphone or to upload and share directly on social channels including Facebook, YouTube and Google Street View. All these features will be available through a dedicated mobile application for download from Galaxy Apps, Google Play and PC software for more in-depth editing capabilities.
Samsung Gear 360 key specifications:
- Two CMOS 15 megapixel fisheye cameras
- DRIMe5s Image Processor
- MP4 (H.265) Video – Dual Lens: 3840×1920 (30fps)
- Image – JPEG Dual Lens: 30M (7776×3888)
- Audio Codec: MP3/AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, Format: MP3, M4A, AAC, OGG
- microSD card (Up to 128GB)
- 0.5” (72 x 32) PMOLED display
- Shooting mode – Video, Photo, Time Lapse Video, Looping Video
- Dual and Single Lens mode
- Sharpness, White Balance, HDR, EV, ISO limit, Wind cut setting
- IP53 Certified Dust and Water Resistant
- Small on-camera display for status and settings
- Support for Samsung Gear 360 App, PC S/W (Gear 360 ActionDirector)
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), WiFi Direct, Bluetooth v4.1, USB 2.0, NFC, Accelerometer, Gyroscope
- Dimension: 66.7×56.2×60 mm
Gear 360 is compatible with select Samsung smartphones including the newly released Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, Galaxy S6+, Note 5, Galaxy S6 edge and Galaxy S6. It will be available starting Q2 2016 in select countries.