Google has started rolling out Android Wear OS v1.4 update based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow (API level 23) for Android Wear smartwatches. The update brings new navigation gestures, audio support on speaker-equipped watches, and expanded support for messaging clients. The update also brings battery life improvements and adds new languages.
New navigation gestures will now allow you to expand a card, bring up your apps, or return home to your watch face with a push, lift or shake. Now you can use your voice to send messages from apps like Google Hangouts, Nextplus, Telegram, Viber, WeChat, and WhatsApp. If you have a Huawei Watch or ASUS ZenWatch 2 (49mm) with a speaker, you can make and take calls over Bluetooth, and also listen to audio/video messages with apps like Glide.
New features in Android version 1.4 update
- Ability to play sounds and take calls on watches with a speaker
- Support for sending WhatsApp, WeChat, Viber, Telegram, and Nextplus messages with your voice or via touch
- New gestures to control your watch with one hand
- Battery life improvements
- Language options for Mandarin, Cantonese, Indonesian, Polish, Dutch, and Thai
Android Wear OS v1.4 update will be rolling out to all Android Wear watches over the next few weeks, including new watches like the Casio Smart Outdoor Watch and Huawei Watch for Ladies.