Silent Circle, popular for its secured Blackphone announced the Blackphone 2 at the MWC earlier this year. Now it has launched the smartphone, as it promised. The Blackphone 2 has a more powerful hardware, improved design and the company has put more focus on security. It packs a 5.5-inch 1080p display, is powered by an Octa-Core Snapdragon 615 SoC and runs on Silent OS based on Android Lollipop. It has 4G LTE connectivity with support for FDD LTE B2,B4,B7,B17 for North America and FDD LTE B1,B3,B5,B7,B8,B20 TDD:B40 bands for UK and other countries. It also has Pentaband 3G and Quadband 2G connectivity.
The Blackphone 2 has in-built Security Center that enables the user to easily manage their privacy and security settings in one place. It comes with a remote wipe setting if the phone is lost or stolen. It comes pre-loaded with Silent Phone – Silent Circle’s private communication app which offers encrypted, secure voice calls, conference calling, video conferencing, secure text and file transfers. It has support for Google’s Android For Work program and seamless integration with Google’s suite of applications and is also certified with existing MDM systems, including MobileIron, Citrix, Good and SOTI.
Blackphone 2 specifications
- 5.5-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) Full HD display with Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 615 (ARM Cortex A53 – 4×1.7GHz + 4×1.0GHz) processor with Adreno 405 GPU
- 3GB RAM, 32GB internal memory, expandable up to 128GB with microSD
- Silent OS based on Android Lollipop
- 13MP rear camera with dual LED flash
- 5MP front-facing camera
- 4G LTE/ 3G HSPA+, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac dual band (2.4/5.0 GHz), Bluetooth 4.0, GPS + GLONASS
- 3060mAh built-in battery with Quick Charge 2.0
The Blackphone 2 is priced at $799 ( Rs. 53,070 approx.) and is now available for purchase in North America.
UPDATE : We went hands on with the device during MWC 2016 and these are our impressions