Vivo just introduced its flagship NEX series smartphones as it had promised. The main highlight of the smartphone is its 6.59-inch Full HD+ Super AMOLED screen with ultra narrow 1.71 mm bezels on the sides, 2.16mm on the top and an 91.24% screen-to-body ratio. It doesn’t have an earpiece, instead it vibrates the screen using Screen SoundCasting Technology that promise better bass and softer treble. It uses ray data compensation algorithm that hides the light sensor at the bottom of the screen, thanks to an innovative design. The micro-slit infrared sensor is also hidden at the top of the screen. It has an 8-megapixel pop-up front camera that automatically rises and hides when you open and close the camera app.
This uses extremely precise micro-stepping motors, with independent drive ICs and precision control algorithms to precisely control this process, says Vivo. It has a 12-megapixel rear camera with Sony IMX363 sensor, 4-axis OIS, along with 5-megapixel secondary rear camera for AI portrait shots with auto scene detection.
The Vivo X20 Plus UD was the first smartphone with an in-display fingerprint sensor, and this was adopted by the Vivo X21, which was launched in India recently. The NEX also uses an in-display fingerprint sensor, and the company says that the third-generation screen fingerprint technology, is smaller, and more powerful offering 50% better accuracy and the unlocking speed is increased by 10% compared to the predecessor. The phone runs on Android 8.1 (Oreo) with Ai-powered Energy UI and Jovi AI with dedicated hardware button to launch it.
The company has partnered with Tencent, NetEase and Unreal for system-level SDK optimization for the best gaming experience with Game Mode 4.0. The phone comes in Star Diamond Black color that uses holographic technology, and the Ruby Red color uses micro crystal technology on the back. It also comes in standard Snapdragon 710 version or NEX A with 6GB of RAM and rear-mounted fingerprint sensor, but other specifications are similar.
Vivo NEX A / NEX S (Ultimate) specifications
- 6.59-inch (2316×1080 pixels) Full HD+ Super AMOLED 19.3:9 aspect ratio display, DCI-P3 color gamut
- 2.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 845 64-bit 10nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 630 GPU (NEX S) / Octa-Core Snapdragon 710 10nm Mobile Platform (Dual 2.2GHz Kryo 360 + Hexa 1.7GHz Kryo 360 CPUs) with Adreno 616 GPU (NEX A)
- 8GB with 256GB / 128GB storage (NEX S), 6GB RAM with 128GB internal storage (NEX A)
- Dual SIM
- Funtouch OS 4.0 based on Android 8.1 (Oreo)
- 12MP Dual PD rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, Sony IMX363 sensor, 4-axis OIS, f/1.8 aperture, secondary 5MP camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 8MP front-facing camera, f/2.0 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor (NEX S) / rear-mounted fingerprint sensor (NEX A)
- Dimensions: 162×77×7.98m; Weight: 199g
- 3.5mm audio jack, CS43199 + SSM6322 Amplifier (NEX S) / AK4376A DAC (NEX A)
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2×2 MIMO , Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh battery with 22.5W fast charging
The Vivo NEX smartphones come in Diamond Black and Red colors. The NEX S with Snapdragon 845, 8GB RAM and in-display fingerprint scanner is priced at 4498 yuan (US$ 702 / Rs. 47,375 approx.), 256GB version of it costs 4998 yuan (US$ 780 / Rs. 52,640 approx.) and the Snapdragon 710-powered NEX A with 6GB RAM costs 3898 yuan (US$ 608 / Rs. 41,055 approx.). It will be available in China from June 23rd.