Samsung just announced the Galaxy Z Fold5, the company’s next-generation foldable phone, at its unpacked event in South Korea, as it had promised. The 7.6-inch Infinity Flex Dynamic AMOLED 2X screen on the inside with 120Hz adaptive refresh rate is now 30% brighter at up to 1750 nits. It still uses the 4MP Under Display Camera (UDC).
It features a 6.2-inch HD+ Dynamic AMOLED display that also has 120Hz adaptive refresh rate. The Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 in the Z Fold4 is replaced by Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 for Galaxy. The phone has the same 50MP sensor, 12MP ultra-wide camera, and 10MP telephoto with 3X optical zoom and 30X space zoom.
It has improved Multi Window and App Continuity that includes Taskbar drag and drop, and optimization of third-party apps. The S Pen Fold Edition, introduced in the Z Fold3 in 2021, is now slimmer and has also been fine-tuned to deliver a superior writing experience making real-time annotating and ideation easy, says the company.
The Galaxy Z Fold5 features a wider variety of recycled materials than the previous generations, including pre-consumer recycled glass and aluminum and post-consumer recycled plastics, sourced from discarded fishing nets, water barrels and PET bottles. Even the paper used for their packaging box is made using 100 percent recycled material, says Samsung.
It still has an Armor Aluminum frame and hinge cover and with IPX8 water resistance ratings, but has new Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2 protection on the Cover Screen and rear glass.
The main screen is equipped with a shock dispersion layer and a redesigned back for a more solid display. The enhanced Flex Hinge with integrated hinge module features a dual rail structure, diffusing external impacts, so there is no gap and the phone is now sleeker at just 6.1mm when open.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5 Specifications
- 7.6-inch (2176 x 1812 pixels) QXGA+ 21.6:18 Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 374ppi, 1~120Hz adaptive refresh rate, HDR10+, up to up to 1750 nits peak brightness
- 6.2-inch (2316 x 904 pixels) 23.1:9 HD+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X Cover Display, 402ppi, 48~120Hz adaptive refresh rate, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2 protection
- Up to 3.36GHz Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 for Galaxy 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 740 GPU
- 12GB LPDDR5X RAM, 256GB / 512GB / 1TB (UFS 4.0) storage
- Android 13 with One UI 5.1.1
- Dual SIM (nano + nano) and one eSIM
- 50 MP (f/1.8, OIS, Dual Pixel AF) main + 12 MP 123˚ Ultra-wide (f/2.2, 1.12 μm) + 10MP telephoto (f/2.4 1.0 μm, OIS, PDAF, 3x optical zoom), 30X space zoom
- 10 MP front camera with 1.22 μm, f/2.2 aperture; 4MP Under Display (f/1.8, 2.0μm, FOV: 80˚)
- USB Type-C Audio, Stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Side-mounted Fingerprint Sensor
- Water-resistant (IPX8)
- Dimensions Folded: 154.9x 67.1 x 13.4mm, Unfolded: 154.9x x 129.9 x 6.1 mm; Weight: 253g
- 5G, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 6E (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.3, GPS with GLONASS, USB Type-C, NFC
- 4400mAh battery with 25W wired and 15W wireless (WPC and PMA) charging, 4.5W reverse wireless charging
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5 comes in Icy Blue, Phantom Black, and Cream colours, along with a variety of cases that offer practicality and style including a Slim S Pen Case, Clear Gadget Case, Eco-Leather Case, and a Standing Case with Strap.
Pricing and availability
It is priced at USD 1799.99 (Rs. 1,47,650 approx.) for 256GB, USD 1919.99 (Rs. 1,57,495 approx.) for 512GB and USD 2159.99 (Rs. 1,77,180 approx.) for 1TB. It is available to order from today and will go on sale in select countries starting from August 11. We should know the price of the phone in India tomorrow at 10AM.