Everyone knows the frustration of being indecisive when choosing what to watch on streaming platforms. Most streaming platforms have massive content libraries and choosing something can be really hard. Now, Netflix thinks they have the answer with a new feature called “Play Something”.
As the name suggests, clicking the “Play Something” button will make Netflix choose a series or film from their library for the user to watch, based on the user’s watch history. If the user does not like Netflix’s first choice, they can then click the “Play Something Else” button. Netflix will then select content from the following:
- A brand new series or film,
- A series or film you’re already watching,
- A series or film on your list, or
- An unfinished series or film you may want to revisit.
The “Play Something” can be found in three places in their apps, including:
- Underneath your profile name
- The tenth row on your Netflix homepage
- The navigation menu on the left of the screen
With this, Netflix is trying to solve the content selection indecision problem that users face, and thereby keep users stay in the Netflix app. The success of this feature will depend on how good Netflix’s selection is based on the user’s watch history.