Promised OS upgrades from manufactures are rare in the Android smartphone space and Samsung was not known to deliver many OS upgrades, even for the flagship smartphones. However, that is about to change as Samsung has announced a promise of an impressive 3 generations of OS upgrades for select smartphone and tablet models.
This was confirmed for Galaxy Note 20 series at its unpacked event earlier this month, now the company has published the complete list of phones that will get 3 OS updates.
The devices promised to get 3 years of OS upgrades include:
- Galaxy S series: Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, S20 Ultra, S20+ 5G, S20+, S20 5G, S20, S10 5G, S10+, S10, S10e, S10 Lite and upcoming S series devices
- Galaxy Note series: Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 5G, Note20, Note10+ 5G, Note10+, Note10 5G, Note10, Note10 Lite and upcoming Note series devices
- Galaxy Foldable devices: Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Z Fold2, Z Flip 5G, Z Flip, Fold 5G, Fold and upcoming Z series devices
- Galaxy A series: Galaxy A71 5G, A71, A51 5G, A51, A90 5G and select upcoming A series devices
- Tablets: Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G, Tab S7+, Tab S7 5G3, Tab S7, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6, Tab S6 Lite and upcoming Tab S series devices
Commenting on the announcement, Janghyun Yoon, Senior Vice President and Head of Software Platform Team, Mobile Communications Business at Samsung Electronics, said:
As people hold onto their devices for longer, we are working to bring secure protection and exciting new features to the devices already in their hands. By supporting up to three generations of Android OS upgrade, we are extending the lifecycle of our Galaxy products and making a promise that we will provide a simple and secure mobile experience that takes advantage of the latest innovations as soon as they are available.