Apple released iOS 13.4 and iPadOS 13.4 with new Memoji stickers, Files app iCloud Folder Sharing, Trackpad Support for iPad and more back in March. Now it has rolled out iOS 13.5 and iPadOS 13.5 updates after several beta releases. Apple said that the update will speed up access to the passcode field on devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask and introduces an option to control automatic prominence of video tiles on Group FaceTime calls and includes bug fixes and other improvements.
The update also introduces the Exposure Notification API for the iPhone to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities. So far, more than 22 countries have signed up to participate, and apps that use the API should be released soon.
Regarding this Apple and Google said:
What we’ve built is not an app — rather public health agencies will incorporate the API into their own apps that people install. Our technology is designed to make these apps work better. Each user gets to decide whether or not to opt-in to Exposure Notifications; the system does not collect or use location from the device; and if a person is diagnosed with COVID-19, it is up to them whether or not to report that in the public health app. User adoption is key to success and we believe that these strong privacy protections are also the best way to encourage use of these apps.
Today, this technology is in the hands of public health agencies across the world who will take the lead and we will continue to support their efforts.
The updates are now available for compatible iPhones and iPads. Check out the complete changelog below.
Face ID and Passcode
- Simplified unlock process for devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask
- Passcode field automatically presented after swiping up from the bottom of the Lock screen when you are wearing a face mask
- Also works when authenticating with the App Store, Apple Books, Apple Pay, iTunes, and other apps that support signing in with Face ID
- Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities
- Option to control automatic prominence on Group FaceTime calls so video tiles do not change size when a participant speaks
- Option to automatically share health and other essential information from your Medical ID with emergency services when you place an emergency call (US only)
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
- Fixes an issue where users may see a black screen when trying to play streaming video from some websites
- Addresses an issue in the share sheet where suggestions and actions may not load