Airtel today launched its Wi-Fi Calling / Vo-WiFi services in India officially starting from Delhi NCR. This lets Airtel users make VoWi-Fi calls in compatible handsets offering improved indoor coverage, faster connectivity and says it will offer crystal clear conversations as if you are next to each other, however it is currently available only when users are connected to Airtel Xstream Fibre network when connected to WiFi.
Airtel Wi-Fi Calling Compatible Handsets:
- iPhone XR, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro
- OnePlus 7, OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7T, OnePlus 7T Pro
- POCO F1, Redmi K20, Redmi K20 Pro
- Samsung Galaxy J6, Samsung Galaxy On 6, Samsung Galaxy M30s, Samsung Galaxy A10s
How to enable Airtel Wi-Fi Calling
- You need any one of the Wi-Fi Calling Capable Handset and Airtel 4G
- In Apple go to Settings > Mobile Data > Wifi Calling
- In Samsung, from the drop-down Quick settings menu enable WiFi Calling
- In Xiaomi phones go to Settings > SIM Cards & mobile networks > Airtel > Make Calls using Wi-Fi
- In OnePlus go to Settings > Mobile Network > SIM1/2 > Wifi Calling
- After enabling, restart the phone and check for VoWi-Fi symbol in the status bar
Airtel Wi-Fi Calling is currently available only in Delhi NCR for Airtel Broadband users, but it will eventually be expanded to other cities gradually.
Airtel said that there will be no extra charge for calls made over ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ and it consumes minimal data. The service is currently compatible with Airtel Xstream Fiber home broadband and will soon be compatible with all broadband services and Wi-Fi hotspots. You can check out Airtel website for more details.
Commenting on the launch, Randeep Sekhon, Chief Technology Officer, Bharti Airtel said:
As a customer obsessed brand, we are constantly working on improving customer experience based on their feedback. Seamless indoor coverage has been a key ask from mobile customers but getting permissions for site installations has always been a big challenge for mobile operators, particularly in top metros. ‘Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ is another pioneering technology intervention from Airtel and will go a long way in making the voice calling experience more seamless.