Samsung has officially announced the Exynos 9 Series 9810 SoC, as it had promised, after it was revealed in CES 2018 Innovation Awards announcement. It is the successor of Exynos 9 Series 8895 SoC that powers the Galaxy S8 series and the Galaxy Note8. It is based on the 2nd generation 10-nanometer (nm) FinFET process technology, and has new eight-core CPU with four of the company’s powerful 3rd generation custom designed CPU cores along with other four optimized for efficiency and an industry-first 6CA LTE modem and deep learning processing capabilities.
Highlights of Samsung Exynos 9 Series 9810 SoC
- Based on the 2nd generation 10-nanometer (nm) FinFET process technology
- Octa-Core CPU with 4x 2.9GHz custom Exynos M3 CPUs for performance and 4x 1.9GHz ARM A55 CPUs for optimized for efficiency
- Mali G72MP18 GPU
- UFS 2.1, SD 3.0, 4x 16-bit CH LPDDR4x at 1794MHz
- Dual-ISP (Image Signal Processor) with up to 4 image sensors such as a dual-camera in the rear along with a camera and an iris sensor in the front
- Rear Camera 24MP, Front 24MP, Dual Camera 16+16MP
- Display Up to WQUXGA (3840×2400), 4K UHD (4096×2160)
- LTE Cat.18 6CA-supported modem has support for up to 6x carrier aggregation (CA) for maximum download speed of up to 1.2Gbps (Cat.18) and 200 megabits per second (Mbps) uplink.
- Modem supports 4×4 MIMO (Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output) and 256-QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) scheme, and utilizes enhanced Licensed-Assisted Access (eLAA) technology.
- Single-core performance is enhanced 2x and multi-core performance is increased by around 40% compared to its predecessor
- Neural network-based deep learning and stronger security allows it to accurately recognize people or items in photos for fast image searching or categorization, or through depth sensing, scan a user’s face in 3D for hybrid face detection.
- Utilizes both hardware and software, hybrid face detection for realistic face-tracking filters as well as stronger security when unlocking a device with one’s face.
- Separate security processing unit to safeguard vital personal data such as facial, iris and fingerprint information.
- Dedicated image processing offers faster and more energy-efficient image and visual processing for advanced stabilization for images and video of up to UHD resolution, real-time out-of-focus photography in high resolution and brighter pictures in low light with reduced noise and motion blur.
- Upgraded multi-format codec (MFC) supports video recording and playback at up to UHD resolution at 120 frames per second (fps).
- 10-bit HEVC (high efficiency video coding) and VP9 support can render 1,024 different tones for each primary color (red, green and blue) that translates to a vast 1.07 billion possibilities of colors, or 64 times the previous 8-bit color format’s 16.7 million.
The Exynos 9 Series 9810 is currently in mass production and will likely power the Galaxy S9 series that it expected to go official next month.