The Government of India has made it mandatory to link your mobile number with Aadhaar card for identification verification and has put a deadline of March 31, 2018 to do so. While the process of verification by visiting the mobile network customer centers can be tiresome, UIDAI has rolled out OTP based verification system using which you can link your mobile numbers with Aadhaar from your home.
This method of verification has come into act since January 1st, 2018 (i.e. since yesterday). The process is very simple, users who still haven’t linked the Aadhaar with the mobile number (that’s around 50 crores) can call up the IVR that would complete the process through a one-time password (OTP).
This IVR process supports English, Hindi, and several regional languages. Once the user calls the IVR and gives his consent for verification with the Aadhaar number, he then will receive the OTP code which when verified to be correct, the mobile number will then be verified and linked to your Aadhaar. This process was announced by the Govt of India back in December, and it is only now the process has come into play since telecoms requested some time to make suitable changes once it was allowed by the telecom department.
Users who need to verify their mobile number can
- Call the IVR number 14546 (toll free)
- Accept your consent to link your Aadhaar number with your mobile number
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number
- Accept your consent for it to fetch your name, DOB and Address linked to your mobile number
- Enter OTP that you have received through SMS
- You will get an SMS confirming the Re-verification, which also says that the process will take up to 48 hours to complete
It seems like currently only Idea, Vodafone and Airtel are working, but we expect other networks to join very soon.