Qualcomm on the second day of its second annual Snapdragon Technology Summit announced Snapdragon 845, its next-generation Mobile Platform for mobile devices that is manufactured on second generation 10LPP process from Samsung. It promises immersive multimedia experiences including eXtended reality (XR), on-device artificial intelligence (AI), lightning-fast connectivity, and also has new secure processing unit (SPU) to offer the best security for premium, flagship mobile devices.
It has new Kryo 385 architecture, built on ARM’s DynamiQ CPU cluster organization to offer 25% better performance across gaming, application launch times, and performance intensive applications compared to the previous generation.
It has Qualcomm Spectra 280 image signal processor (ISP) and Qualcomm® Adreno 630 visual processing subsystem. It lets you captures 64x more high-dynamic range color information for video capture and playback on Ultra HD Premium displays, compared to the previous generation, says Qualcomm. It includes 10-bit color depth for over one billion shades of colors that can be displayed to the wide Rec. 2020 gamut for life-like 4K/Ultra HD videos.
It offers room-scale 6 degrees of freedom (6DoF) with simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM)—for features such as wall-collision detection. It also brings “Adreno foveation,” which substantially reduces power consumption, improves visual quality and boosts XR application performance, compared to Snapdragon 835. The Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec (WCD9341) and low-power audio subsystem offers better voice-driven smart assistants with improved always-on keyword detection and ultra-low-power voice processing. The new hardware isolated subsystem – secure processing unit (SPU) engineered to help protect personal data with vault-like security.
It has 3rd Generation Qualcomm Hexagon 685 DSP for sophisticated, on-device AI processing, delivering richer camera, voice, XR and gaming experiences. It has Snapdragon X20 LTE modem that supports LTE Category 18 peak download speeds of 1.2 Gbps, Dual SIM-Dual VoLTE as well as 4×4 MIMO on up to 3 aggregated carriers. It also has Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology that can charge up to 15 percent faster, or 30 percent more efficiently when compared to Quick Charge 4
Highlights of Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
- 4 x Kryo 385 Performance CPUs at 2.8GHz, 4x Kryo 385 Efficiency CPUs at 1.8GHz
- Integrated X20 LTE modem with Global Mode
- Cat 18/13 speeds of up to 1.2 Gbps down/150 Mbps up via 5x carrier aggregation
- Dual SIM-Dual VoLTE (DSDV)
- Support for Qualcomm TruSignal adaptive antenna tuning, High-power transmit (HPUE)
- Qualcomm Adreno 630 GPU (including GPU, VPU and DPU) with room-scale 6DoF with SLAM, Adreno Foveation
- Supports up to 4K Ultra HD on-device, 60 fps, 4K Ultra HD output, DisplayPort, HDMI, and USB Type-C support
- Up to 10-bit, 4K Ultra HD at 60 FPS capture and playback, Support for HDR10, HLG, H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC), VP9, Motion Compensated Temporal Filtering (MCTF), Slow Motion video capture (720p@480fps)
- Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec, and speaker amplifier, Qualcomm aptX audio playback support: aptX Classic, aptX HD, Native DSD support, PCM up to 384kHz/32bit
- Up to 16 MP dual camera, Up to 32 MP single camera, Qualcomm Spectra 280 Image Sensor Processor (14-bit dual-ISP), Hybrid Autofocus, Hardware Accelerated Face Detection, Multi-frame Noise Reduction (MFNR), Active Depth Sensing, HDR Video Recording
- Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit (SPU) -Biometric authentication (fingerprint, iris, voice, face), User and app data protection, Integrated use-cases such as integrated SIM, Payments, and more
- Hexagon 685 DSP with 3rd Generation Hexagon Vector DSP (HVX) for AI and imaging, 3rd Generation Qualcomm All-Ways Aware Sensor Hub, Hexagon scalar DSP for audio, Tensorflow Lite and Open Neural Network Exchange (ONNX)
- LPDDR4x 1866MHz dual-channel memory
- 802.11ad Multi-gigabit, Integrated 802.11ac 2×2 with MU-MIMO, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 60 GHz, Bluetooth 5, NFC
- GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo, QZSS, SBAS, Low Power Geofencing and Tracking, Sensor-assisted Navigation
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 4/4+ technology
The Qualcomm Snapdragon 845-powered devices will be available in early 2018 powering devices such as smartphones, XR headsets and always connected PCs. Xiaomi already confirmed that its next flagship will be powered by Snapdragon 845.