SHARP today announced AQUOS S2, its latest smartphone at an event in China, as it had promised. 5.5-inch (1080 x 2040 pixels) Full HD+ display with 84.95% screen-to-body ratio. It uses FFD (Free Form Display) technology to make small holes precisely in the screen for front camera and receiver. The fingerprint sensor that is present below the screen is just 3.6mm, making it the world’s narrowest fingerprint identification module.
It comes with a 12-megapixel primary rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, along with a secondary 8-megapixel secondary camera for capturing depth information offering background blur. It has a metal frame and 3D glass body with SHARP etched on it.
It is the world’s first smartphone to be powered by Snapdragon 630 and the high-end version comes with Snapdragon 660. It runs on Android 7.1 (Nougat) with Smile Ux and has RoboS assistant.
SHARP AQUOS S2 specifications
- 5.5-inch (1080 x 2040 pixels) Full HD+ LCD display with 550 nits brightness, 135% sRGB color coverage, 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 630 14nm Mobile Platform (Quad 2.2GHz Cortex A53 + Quad 1.8GHz Cortex A53 CPUs) with Adreno 508 GPU / Octa Core Snapdragon 660 14nm Mobile Platform (Quad 2.2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPUs) with Adreno 512 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB internal storage, 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB storage, expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano/microSD)
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat)
- 12MP rear camera with f/1.75 aperture, 1.4um pixel size, dual-tone LED Flash, PDAF, secondary 8MP camera
- 8MP front-facing camera, 1.4um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture
- Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 141.8 x 72.04 x 7.9mm; Weight: 140g
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 2930mAh (minimum) / 3020mAh (typical) battery with Quick Charge 3.0
The SHARP AQUOS S2 comes in Black, White, Blue and Green colors and is priced at 2499 yuan (US$ 372 / Rs. 23755 approx.) for the Snapdragon 630, 4GB RAM and 64GB storage standard version, while the top-end Limited edtion Snapdragon 660, 6GB RAM with 128GB storage version costs 3499 yuan (US$ 521 / Rs. 33260 approx.) . It is available for pre-order from jd.com today and goes on sale from August 14th in China.