MediaTek just announced Dimensity 8300, the company’s latest 8000 series SoC for premium 5G smartphones, as the successor to Dimensity 8200. It uses second-generation TSMC’s 4nm process tech.
CPU and GPU
The Octa-Core processor has 4 x Cortex-A715 performance cores with a maximum frequency of 3.35GHz and 4 x Cortex-A510 energy efficiency cores with a maximum frequency of 2.2GHz. The performance is improved by 20% compared with the previous generation, and the power consumption is reduced by 30%, said the company.
The 6-core Mali-G615 GPU promises 60% improved peak performance, and the power consumption is reduced by 55% compared to the previous generation, says the company.
The Dimensity 8300 is the first in its class to support full generative AI, thanks to APU 780 AI processor integrated into the chipset. This enables the Dimensity 8300 to provide support to developers to build innovative applications that leverage large language models (LLMs) up to 10B, as well as stable diffusion.
The APU 780 features the same architecture as the flagship Dimensity 9300 SoC, resulting in 2x improvement in INT and FP16 computation and a 3.3x boost in AI performance over the Dimensity 8200.
It has MediaTek’s 14-bit HDR-ISP Imagiq 980. It promises sharper, clearer videos at 4K60 HDR, and record for longer thanks to the Dimensity 8300’s extremely power efficient design.
The HyperEngine adaptive game technology offers advanced power savings enhancements. The chip intelligently adapts to computing demands and monitors device temperature, keeping devices cool while optimizing gameplay, so users can enjoy full FPS, low lag, and seamless rendering, according to the company.
The Dimensity 8300 supports ultra-fast speeds with a built-in 3GPP Release-16 standard 5G modem. The modem supports 3CC carrier aggregation, with up to 5.17Gbps downlink speeds.
MediaTek Dimensity 8300 specifications
- 4 x Arm Cortex-A715 cores up to 3.35GHz + 4 x Cortex-A510 cores at up to 2.2GHz
- 4MB L3 + SLC cache
- Arm Mali-G615 MC6 GPU
- MediaTek APU 780 (Generative AI), Up to 10 billion parameters, 8x faster transformer-based generative AI, 2x faster integer and floating-point compute improvement, 3.3x AI performance (AI Benchmark v5)
- TSMC’s second generation 4nm process
- 120Hz WQHD+ / 180Hz Full HD+ display support, HDR10+ Adaptive support
- Up to 320MP camera, Imagiq 980 14-bit HDR-ISP
- 2G-5G Multi-Mode, 5G/4G CA, 5G/4G FDD+TDD, CDMA2000 1x/EVDO Rev. A (SRLTE), EDGE, GSM, TD-SCDMA, WDCDMA
- SA & NSA modes; SA Option2, NSA Option3 / 3a / 3x, NR TDD and FDD bands, DSS, NR DL 3CC, 220MHz bandwidth, 4×4 MIMO, 256QAM NR UL 2CC, R16 UL Enhancement, 2×2 MIMO, 256QAM VoNR / EPS fallback
- GPS L1CA+L5 + L1C, BeiDou B1I+ B2a + B1C, Glonass L1OF, Galileo E1 + E5a, QZSS L1CA+ L5, NavIC
- Wi-Fi 6E (a/b/g/n/ac/ax) ready, 2T2R, Bluetooth 5.4
- Supports LPDDR5X memory up to 8533Mbps,UFS 4 + MCQ
MediaTek said that the Dimensity 8300 SoC will power 5G devices launching in the global market before the end of 2023.
Redmi K70E with Dimensity 8300-Ultra
Xiaomi Civi3 and Redmi Note 12T Pro were introduced earlier this year with Dimensity 8200-Ultra, a custom chip for Xiaomi.
Today, Xiaomi has confirmed that Redmi K70E that will launch later this month will be powered by the Dimensity 8300-Ultra SoC, a custom chip for Xiaomi. It also revealed that the phone has over 1.52 million points on AnTuTu 10.
Dr. Yenchi Lee, Deputy General Manager of MediaTek’s Wireless Communications Business Unit, said:
With MediaTek’s optimized Dimensity 8000 series, consumers don’t have to pick and choose between accessibility and premier experiences like flagship-grade memory or accelerated AI capabilities—they can have it all. The Dimensity 8300 unlocks new possibilities for the premium smartphone segment, offering users in-hand AI, hyper-realistic entertainment opportunities, and seamless connectivity without sacrificing efficiency.