Google has revealed at the ‘Search On’ how it is reinventing Google Maps once more, with a visual and user-friendly map that lets you travel anywhere as if you were actually there, thanks to most recent developments in computer vision and predictive models. It also includes four new updates that make Maps appear and feel more like the real world.
It can be difficult to know what’s worth exploring, what’s fresh, and what the local treasures are while visiting a new neighborhood. Soon, you’ll be able to select a neighborhood and watch popular sites come to life on the map due to images and information from the Google Maps community.
Say you’re in Paris.
You can quickly determine if a neighborhood is artsy or has a good culinary scene, so you can plan your time wisely. Google integrate AI with local expertise from Google Maps users, who submit 20 million reviews, photographs, and videos per day. Neighborhood Vibe launches for Android and iOS soon.
Google presented Immersive View at I/O, a new way to explore the environment that layers weather, traffic, and bustle on top of magnificent multi-dimensional images.
- Google is releasing more than 250 photorealistic aerial images of world landmarks, including the Acropolis and the Tokyo Tower.
- Immersive view automatically learns from the past to predict what will happen tomorrow, next week, and next month in a certain place.
- You’ll have all the information you need to visit Oracle Park in San Francisco. You’ll know where the parking lots and entrances are and if it will be cold, so you can pack a jacket.
- Post-game hunger? We make it easy to check out neighbouring restaurants by letting you glide down to street level and peek inside.
Immersive View is coming to Android and iOS in Los Angeles, London, New York, San Francisco, and Tokyo.
Search with Live View
Google is expanding the first-of-its-kind technology to begin search with Live View, which helps you find what’s around you.
Search and explore places around you through your camera with Live View 👀 pic.twitter.com/WlBVwsv4ot
— Google Maps (@googlemaps) September 28, 2022
- You need funds for a farmer’s market. Lift your phone to search with Live View to see nearby ATMs. You can also spot cafes, supermarkets, and transit stations.
- You can tap on any location to see more data, including what services the barber shop down the street offers.
Search with Live View is coming to Android and iOS in London, LA, NY, SF, Paris, and Tokyo.
Helping companies and developers operate more sustainably
Google has introduced eco-friendly routing in the U.S., Canada, and Europe, utilizing a new routing algorithm to show drivers the best fuel-efficient route to their destination.
- Google Maps Platform will eventually offer these same capabilities to third-party developers.
- Companies of all sizes and industries, including delivery or ridesharing, can enable eco-friendly routing in their apps and evaluate fuel usage and savings for a single trip, numerous journeys, or across their whole fleet to optimize the performance.
Developers will be able to choose an engine type to acquire the most realistic fuel or energy efficiency estimations. Developers can preview eco-friendly routing on Google Maps later this year.
Speaking on the announcement, Chris Phillips, VP & General Manager, Geo, said,
With today’s announcements, we’re building a visual-first Maps experience that helps everyone explore and navigate the world more naturally — while getting there more sustainably.