Twitter has announced that it has started testing a new Tip jar feature that lets people to send and receive tips on Twitter. You can send someone a tip through several payment services by tapping the new Tip Jar icon on their profile.
show your love, leave a tip
now testing Tip Jar, a new way to give and receive money on Twitter 💸
more coming soon… pic.twitter.com/7vyCzlRIFc
— Twitter (@Twitter) May 6, 2021
How does Tip Jar feature work?
- If a Twitter account’s Tip Jar is enabled, you will see a Tip Jar icon next to the Follow button on the profile page.
- Tap the icon, and you’ll see a list of payment services or platforms that the account has enabled.
- Select whichever payment service or platform you prefer, and you’ll be taken off Twitter to the selected app where you can show your support in the amount you choose.
- The services you can add today include Bandcamp, Cash App, Patreon, PayPal and Venmo.
- From your profile, you turn the tip jar feature on or off and also link the services that you have an account to receive tips.
Twitter says that it takes no cut. On Android, tips can also be sent within Spaces. It also confirmed that other apps may share info between people sending/receiving tips, per their terms.
Twitter is testing the feature with a limited group of people that includes creators, journalists, experts, and non-profit around the world who use Twitter in English. This allows them to add Tip Jar to their profile and accept tips. Soon, more people will be able to add Tip Jar to their profile, and Twitter will expand it to more languages.